A Tsuba That A Friend Gave Me - Rough Age?

Daddy Cool

We received a parcel from a friend from Japan today - together with the usual sweets and curiosities he send us at Christmas time, he included this tsuba for me! (having only owned my first sword for a few weeks, I don't know how he even knew I would like this!)

Anyway, he enclosed a note saying that "maybe this is Edo period".

Could anyone hazard a guess to the age? And what does it look like that's represented - some leaves?

The diameter is about 65mm by the way.

post-1510-0-98313900-1482444774_thumb.jpg

post-1510-0-57048500-1482444795_thumb.jpg

Also, pics are upside down. Tsuba always pictured with the edge up ;-)

Whoops! Every day's a school day! :)

Heres a couple of pics in natural light, not sure if they are any better though.

post-1510-0-50867500-1482503171_thumb.jpg

post-1510-0-62388600-1482503196_thumb.jpg

The fact that this one looks a lot more "basic" in execution than the links I put up - does that suggest casting? What else is a tell-tale sign?

And if we agree its cast, what does that mean - that its a modern copy? Or is still Edo-period but just for decoration use rather than fitted to a sword that would see service?

Hi Chris

sorry to be the barer of bad news but I'd confirm what has already been suggested. This is indeed a cast  copy. This means that it's relatively modern, certainly no older than 30 years. The type of technology needed to replicate a tsuba in steel by casting, (making a mould of the original etc.) simply wasn't around in the Edo period.

As Brian pointed out the seppa-dai (the oval flat form in the centre) looks 'wrong'. I'd describe it as appearing ever so slightly over inflated, if that makes sense. And the finish on the flat is pretty crude, it ought to be a neat and level plane suitable to be a platform for the seppa and to provide a secure and stable assembly.

The edge of the nakago-ana (the tang opening) on the front, left side, shows that the mould didn't fill properly. That 'lumpiness' is a give-away. A similar effect can be seen on the narrow edges of the ryo-hitsu (the two framed opening on each side of the seppa-dai) too.

There are other, less easily described, features of the metal surface that add the the overall impression of it being a cast copy.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..