Width At The Hamachi(元幅) Too Thin, Dangerous For Tamechigiri?

Hello everyone,

I hope everything go well for all you guys.

Recently I have spotted a very good Nihonto forged by a Mukansa rank forger. The hamon looks beautiful and the length is quiet good for my size. I measure 172cm.

However I have two questions for you guys:

1. The Width at the Hamachi 元幅 is 2,65cm and the one at the Kissaki is 1,95cm. This number seems to be quiet low for me as average width at the Hamachi is around 3cm. The length is 71cm for the blade. Do you think that the blade is too thin? I have searched on forum that if we are not technically trained, the sword may blend if it is too thin.

2. The blade is in Shirasaya. How much does the fabrcation of a new scabbard and tsuka cost in Japan?

Thank you very much!!

Well sure a blade can be too thin and/or too narrow. However the width alone doesn't say much, its depended on the corresponding thickness, steel quality, sugata etc. If made recently by a mukansa smith i wouldn't worry too much.

Thank you for your answer. Here is the photo of this nihonto. What do you think about its quality? Thank you

http://imgur.com/BDpYQXa

You should seek the advice of your tameshigiri teacher if you're not sure if this sword is suited to your purposes. If you're planning to use it for cutting without proper guidance, your handle might become true - or you have to change it to "Selfmutilator".

• Like 2

Recently I have spotted a very good Nihonto forged by a Mukansa rank forger.

I have searched on forum that if we are not technically trained, the sword may blend if it is too thin.

2. The blade is in Shirasaya. How much does the fabrcation of a new scabbard and tsuka cost in Japan?

:bang:  :bang:  :bang: