About the Translation Section

Brian

All,

I have created this new category in order to keep translation requests in their own section and so that they do not detract from the other discussions in their respective sections.

In this forum you can request translation assistance for any Nihonto or related item. This includes mei and reference materials requests.

If translations lead to educational discussion of the item itself, then the post will be moved to the relevant section.

Please note that we have a few incredibly helpful and willing members who selflessly devote time to helping us novices with these translations, and any info that is given is subject to them being willing, able and having the time to assist. Translations are not guaranteed, and are not always possible. If you do get assistance, please thank them for their time, and understand that you may or may not get the translation you requested. Do not take advantage of them and post page after page of requests, and abuse of their generocity will be removed.

NB - Please state clearly if the translation will be used for any commercial use. If you need help with selling something, then mention that you need to use the info for commercial purposes. In these cases, it might be a nice (voluntary) gesture to make a small donation to the person who assist you, or at least request their full permission before using the info.

Newcommers are encouraged to at least have a try at identifying the kanji. The ability to possibly get a fast translation should not substitute for further research and education. Check out the links pages, see what you can make out for yourself, and have a go at translating. There is no penalty for incorrect work...only the satisfaction of knowing you tried :)

Regards,

Brian

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if replies are allowed to Brian's excellent translation posting guidelines. If not, please ignore and or erase, as necessary.

As one who attempts the occasional translation, could I request that in addition to the short written background to the request, if possible you take two ot three clear shots not only of the specific part to be translated, but also of the overall view. If paperwork, that should be sufficient. If a Mei, a shot of the Mei, another of the nakago itself, and maybe a couple of the blade including the kissaki would make the translation easier. Anyone who has done any translation will know that without the context it is very hard to get comfortable. Most people do the above naturally; just occasionally someone posts the bare minimum photo and this can raise frustrating questions about the whole point of the exercise. :)

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

A suggestion.

Emphasise the importance of:

1. Having the image in a readable position (not upside down, sideways etc.)

2. In focus and High-Resolution images.

Show it by a few examples?

I suggesting this because I sometimes don't have the time to download and correct images. Looking at the images cause pain in both my neck and eyes.

• Like 1