Polishing

Joe Buffardi

Well after finding this amazing site and learning so much about these beautiful works of art. I would like to get into polishing. I have aquired two blades that need polish. I have skill with metal and I have worked with metal for half my life. Welding, shaping, stretching and shrinking, heat treating, machining etc. I have huge respect for Japanese swordsmiths and I have to say I have fallen in love!

I am in it for the long run and I would like to purchase a full kit to learn on some scrap swords and not my art swords. Can someone direct me to some real kits? Stones etc. thank you!

Hi Joe,

Let me be the 1st among what I'm sure will be many to tell you that you can't teach yourself how to properly polish a Japanese sword.  A typical apprenticeship in Japan for a polisher is about 10 years; no one can gain that education by buying stones.  Sure, you plan to start on scrap swords but you also plan to graduate to better and that is a fool's errand.  You will not learn how to do the job properly; you will only risk causing serious damage or ruin to something you claim to have huge respect for.

And I am not being alarmist; I'm perfectly serious and 100% certain that I'm correct (I've seen too many of the results of amateur polishes).  Please do us all a huge favor and find another hobby (or get the proper education before you start).  And this has nothing to say about you or your skill level; the most skillful person on earth could not teach himself to properly polish.

Grey

• Like 3

If you truly love Japanese swords then please abandon this goal to polish them yourself. There is simply no way to become a competent togishi through self education. It is heartbreaking to think of all the destroyed swords I have seen, that met their end through well-meaning amateur polishers. Ko-Senjuin, Yokoyama Sukekane, Sendai Kunikane, Heianjo Nagayoshi, etc, etc all ruined. A polishing apprenticeship takes ten years. There are no short cuts.

Joe !!

I am not here to make any judgement, but listen to the folks who know.

If you are so serious; and I commend your conviction of a future goal; there are other ways to move forward.

I see you are from California, and therefore have access to a fully trained Japanese sword  polisher, who has the respect of many of us. Jimmy Hayashi, in southern CA.

Contact him, tell him your vision and goals, seek his advice, and learn from him what you must.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what you call scrap swords ? If you mean repro katana made in China it may be ok but no matter how far your polish skills develop you should never try polish a Japanese made sword. Even the lowest end Nihonto are not scrap to someone and should be treated with the same respect as the higher end swords IMO. The more you learn about Nihonto you realize that there is no way it can be done with out the proper training no matter who you are.

Greg

Thank you so much! I dont plan to become a professional by all means. I just really want to understand it more. I know that I need to study the design of a sword first before touching any sword to a stone. I will definitely take my art swords to a professional. Jimmy Hayashi in Californa, do you have a contact? Thank you! All is appreciated.

Hello!

Years ago I polished my stock removal DIY tanto blade using available stones, grinding paper and acid.

It was a good experience!

Now I really know, it's impossible for me to do any kind of traditional job on a Nihonto (or any other object with this shape). Actually it's impossible for me not to destroy it...

A traditional polish is expensive but when I think at the price of the required traditional equipment and the price of my time, which I would need to do the job - not considering (but not forgotten) - the price of the required Nihonto polishing knowledge (books, shows and years of learning), decision is easy...

The kit you asked for, 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-Japanese-POLISHING-SHARPENING-SET-FOR-NIHONTO-/262725816704?hash=item3d2badd180:g:S-IAAOSwiDFYMJSI

just promise  use it on a old leaf spring you cut into a knife/tanto.

and if you have that kinda money im sure your best sword could be polished by Jimmy 

With your metal working skills, my advice is to get into bladesmithing, and polishing your own work rather than trying to learn on Nihonto. Talking about Nihonto polishing here is like wearing a Make America Great Again hat at a Hillary Clinton rally :o

Dear Joe,

if you like Japanese stones there is so many ways to use them on other things like for example straight razors.

I´am into straight razors for long time and just learn about Japanese stones now, cause I came to the conclusion that they work the best for me.

They do real magic for my razors and wood working tools, so I like them.

Greetings

ruben 

I think what Andi and Steve above is great advice. I found a greater appreciation for a smith and a togishi work when made a couple tanto's style blades with hamon, it can be very rewarding and very hard work but atleast if you make any mistakes you havnt damaged a part of important history. All the best.

Greg

Have you ever seen a razor that says "tamahagane" on it? I was just wondering because have one like that. Not sure how rare it is.

Dear Joe,

if you like Japanese stones there is so many ways to use them on other things like for example straight razors.

I´am into straight razors for long time and just learn about Japanese stones now, cause I came to the conclusion that they work the best for me.

They do real magic for my razors and wood working tools, so I like them.

Greetings

ruben

I will send my art swords to a trained polisher. I want to practice on scrap blades.

If the blades are nihonto and are worn, of seemingly no value or have suffered abuse in the way you intend. They are not 'scrap', they are still part of their history and demand respect. This site is, "Dedicated to the study and preservation of Japanese swords and fittings". There is no distinction here between blade state, or value.

Respect. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..