YOROIDOSHI INFORMATION

Dino

Hi Everyone

I am hoping to get any information on Yoroidoshi Tanto's. The history of them, what years were they primarily made, dimension's, current collectability, etc. If any member's have picture's they would like to share that would be very appreciated. I have only seen two up close so my knowledge is very limited. I have recently aquirred several more Nihonto reference books but there is little information about them in the books and almost no detailed picture's of them . They are quite diminutive in size but I find them very intersting.

Thank you

Dino

Dino,

This is a quite a large request :)

There are lots of pics online of yoroi doshi, and I'll post mine when I get home. Sometimes we see thicker tanto called yoroi doshi when they are kanmuri otoshi, but I feel that when you see a real yoroi doshi, you know it. Mine is about 11cm at the machi! and is almost triangular in shape. Obviously designed to pierce armour.

They don't have to be diminutive though. Blade lengths can be around 22-25cm long, although width of the blade is thinner than usual.

I'll post more when I get home.

Brian

Here is one pic of mine, before foundation polish. Also showing the habaki so you can get an idea of thickness. It is about 11mm thick.

Not quite sure which ones you mean when you say "diminutive" but the ones I have seen have had a nagasa around 22cm long, so not short blades.

There is some info here (if you weed out the incorrect info)

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=36237

Googling yoroi doshi will also pull up a lot of info. Connoisseurs has some info too.

I think searching this forum for yoroi doshi will also pull up some previous discussions on them.

Regards,

Brian

yoroi123.jpg

Hi Brian

Thanks for the picture and information. The last Yoroidoshi I looked at was from the early 1500's and the dimensions were as follows: 22cm Nagasa , 8.5mm thick at Kasane, 2.2cm at Moto Haba. I have very little experience with Tanto's and thats probably why I find them diminutive in size. I guess when you look at the length of the Nagasa versus the thickness at the Kasane and the witdth at Moto Haba the measurements don't seen so diminutive.

As always thank you for the information given and also for The Nihonto Message Board.

Thanks

Dino

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..