Gimei On Tosogu

Stefan

I knew that is possible to remove Gimei on swordblades. But  how is it in the terms  of tosogu ?
I knew that in swordblades the signature ist punched in ( therefore the makura ) and  in tosogu they are carved.

In my understanding there is no material to be pushed back in tosogu.

I have no idea  how an  Gimei can been removed here.

It is  possible to get papers on tosogu with a false signature ?

( If the  the same  rules are applied  as in blades the answer would be  "NO" ) I am not sure.

I have a tsuba that has been attributed, both by the NTHK and via shumei (don't know who did the shumei), to Sadahiro (Owari).  I had the tsuba for more than two years before one day, turning the guard in the light, I saw what is an "abraded" or almost-erased Nobuiye mei.  The signature is of the Futoji-mei variety, and what remains of it (the "Nobu" ji is still visible; the "ie" ji is essentially scrubbed away) confirms the particular style of rendering that ji that the nidai Nobuiye employed (some scholars have this artist as the shodai, but most, I believe, recognize him as the nidai).  I have been perplexed as to why there would have been an attempt to remove the mei, unless some previous owner considered it gimei.  A shame, since the piece itself is clearly---according to many production details---genuine nidai work. 

Here are photos of the tsuba, including close-up images of the seppa-dai.  I have also included photos of two similar guards made by nidai Nobuiye (first two images).  The "journeys" these works take over time is fascinating... ;-)

Cheers,

Steve

post-224-0-66303900-1479664844_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-04275800-1479664866_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-03329800-1479664907_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-57749400-1479664924_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-88268300-1479664939_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-29822000-1479664965_thumb.jpg

post-224-0-25003700-1479664980_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..