Tanto Help

vajo

Hi,

a friend offered me this tanto. 

Mumei blade, in old polish. I didn't know what age (maybe shinto?) Could it be a Yari Tanto?

Koshirae is Edo maybe, but the condition is not perfect. The Tsuka is covered by a white material, could it be wax?

I'm not sure to buy it. What you think.

post-3496-0-40564300-1478938940_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-06999400-1478938953_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-52066000-1478938988_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-65313900-1478939066_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-00932800-1478939107_thumb.jpg

post-3496-0-08916500-1478939017_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

Shinto tanto are comparatively rare, they went largely out of fashion as the daisho became the norm. Some were still made but not in great numbers.

If I had to guess I would put this at late shinto or more likely shin-shinto. I cannot remember the correct name for the shape but it is a recognised form (not a yari) which again was popular in later work.

the white material is most probably wax, applied as a form of damp protection.

Whether you should buy it is up to you. It depends on the price and how much you like what you see. From the images I cant see any major problems and it looks to be a tidy example of what it is.

• Like 2

Looks like a very nice tanto that one could certainly enjoy studying. I wonder if it was a Kaga school work, noticing the sharp cut nakago-jiri. If not a "treasure," it is something to be enjoyed and perhaps learned from. As for kikuchi yari, I've always admired their dynamic sugata. I only own one yakinaoshi-kikuchi yari that was convered into a tanto. The one I've always wished for surfaced in the early 1970s here in St. Louis, a "gift" to some family during our 1904 World Fair. It was boxed with extensive hakogaki "history" and was soon offered at a Chicago show. I could not afford it back then, but it eventually ended up in the UK and published in an issue of the newsletter of the British club. Just a short reminisce. Ron STL

• Like 1

Hi Marius

I think the majority view was shin-shinto rather than shinto.

I agree without knowing the length it is difficult to really judge what the shape is telling you. My initial reaction was sunobi tanto or Ko-wakazashi which is much the same.

I can only speak for myself but the look of the nakago does not suggest early work, it lacks age patination. Likewise the hada seems undefined and the overall condition too fresh to be considered 600+ years old.

Again this is opinion based on photographs which is never easy but I would still be happier calling this later than early.

hope this helps

Paul

• Like 2

Malcom

is it right that this mon is not the mon of the samurai clan tachibana. It is the mon of the kuge tachibana clan. One of the imperial houses of Japan.

I found that information on wikipedia.

This might be true for the medieval origins of the kamon. However, the use of kamon are largely unrestricted, therefore you couldn't properly conclude that this tanto was associated with any one particular class of society. Anyone is free to to use the kikuza tachibana mon, and so without knowing the precise family from where this item came, you couldn't say much just by looking at the mon. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..