Are there sources for mei for togishi

bullpuppy

I've never seen a nagashi that looked like that. Usually there are lines parallel to the mune. For example, 9 lines on one side and 11 on the other (odd #s) might mean it was polished by a togishi trained in the honami tradition.

Never seen anything that would resemble a character. But that certainly does not mean that its not out there.

Here's a pict of nagashi from nihontocraft.com (excellent site)

post-126-14196733951407_thumb.jpg

Hey Carlo,

Wanted to say hi since I joined and saw you here. It's mike from the other forum.

Anyway, I could have swore I read somewhere honami signed 9 on one side and 11 on the other. or some other odd number lines. Fujishiro signed like 5 and 7?

mike

Hi Mike. Glad to have you here. Both of us are right.

9/11 under the Habaki, 6 on the Mune near the Kissaki.

:D

it's supposed Fujishiro's school signes a couple line less. But I'm not sure.

I wonder if he is a famous polisher. I would think that the well know polishers would want to leave a mark.

Stephen - Thanks for your email address. I was looking at a sword and wanted your input without posting and competing with everyone. It was sold however.

The common ways to sign for a togi is by making decorative burnishing on shinogiji near the nakago and on the mune, near the kissaki (in fact the lines usually stops above the yokote point). This stage on polishing process is called kesho migaki. It said that hon'ami school togi sign with alternating thick and thin lines on the shinogiji.

I have seen very few swords with togi kanji but it is uncommomn and mostly on blade from late 19c to showa era

Mike

Hello!

I have seen a few with the polishers mei under the habaki. Its not common, but some polishers do it if they are pleased with the result.

I have a Mizuta Bichu "kunishige" katana with polisher inscription and burnishing lines under the habaki.

trygve

Hello!

I have seen a few with the polishers mei under the habaki. Its not common, but some polishers do it if they are pleased with the result.

I have a Mizuta Bichu "kunishige" katana with polisher inscription and burnishing lines under the habaki.

trygve

Can I ask who is/was the polisher and which school he belongs to ?

Hello!

trygve

Can I ask who is/was the polisher and which school he belongs to ?

Hi Carlo!

I have not translated the polishers mei yet. Its been a while since I studied this blade and dont remeber if I did translate it back then. The polish is very nice.

I have a photo of it on this link.

http://home.online.no/~kjoklepp

• 1 month later...

Sirs

I have been reading the posts about the lines on the mune and shinogiji, i i might have some more information that might help.

The honami school always uses an uneven number of lines and the fujishiro school uses an even number.

I normaly put 3 lines in on each side of the yori and 7 or 11 lines on the shnogiji, though that dependes on the width of the shinogiji.

The width of the lines are in my case even, though some polisheres do use

a mix of thik and thin lines, it is a matter of how you was taught and your own style.

As for signing with name, none of the polishers i know do that, it might have been more commen in the showa period, but as far as i have seen no one uses it today.

As my teacher told me, if your work is good enough then there are no reason to sign with your name, your work will speak for itself.

I hope this post might have been of some help.

Regards

Brian Pedersen

Mr Pedersen,

Thank you for those comments. I couldn't help but notice that you list your location as Japan, and your occupation as polisher.

I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say it is very interesting to have a Tôgishi on the forum, and if you are willing...I am sure we would love to hear a bit about your background etc.

Are you currently apprenticed to one of the known togishi, and how long have you been studying in Japan?

Would be great to get more insight into the world of polishing in Japan..especially from a Western point of view.

Regards,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..