Help Identifying Inherited Tsuba

Good Day All,

I recently inherited a tsuba from my wife's family.  From my rudimentary research, it looks like it might be a Mino-goto Tsuba.  A contact I had here in Canada tells me that it's Edo period and dating around 1860-1880.  Can anyone provide some more insight?  I would love to know more about it for sentimental reasons of course!

Cheers!

post-3871-0-55111400-1478007275_thumb.jpg post-3871-0-12541800-1478007282_thumb.jpg post-3871-0-50450800-1478007288_thumb.jpg

Stu

• Like 1

Stu,

Mino Goto style yes...very typical of the lower quality type and kinda mass produced at the time. I don't think these can be dated so accurately, but probably sometime in the 1800's. Not a masterpiece, but still a genuine tsuba with some age to it. If you Google Mino Goto tsuba, you will see some of the top quality ones, and what is possible from that school

Thanks for all your help Greg!

I did do a look up on Mino Goto and found a lot of similarities, but nothing that really matched mine.  It does appear to be old and it's in quite good condition.  Do you think I might be able to find more research on it, is it unique?

Are there any links that explains more about the Mino Goto school?

Wow Geraint!!

Thank you for the link.  It gave me something to look for, and I found this link with the same tsuba in it!

http://catalogues.lesliehindman.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=118++++++870+&refno=10081147

The gold leaf on this one seems to be more visible.  It could mean a cleaning is needed.

Gordon,

It belonged to my Japanese wife's grandfather who passed away at 101 last year.  He was a Shinto priest in Gifu.  I have no reason to doubt that it's real.  With looking at it up close, it looks real to me.

With the similarities of the piece I found online that is Nagoyamono, and being that Gifu is close to Nagoya, it makes sense to me that it would be Nagoyamono.

I would love to hear from anyone that might be able to provide more details on Nagoyamono...

Looks like a nice tsuba to me.  Nanako is pretty well done, lots of inlay with at least three colors of metal, the carving is good.   It's a nice family treasure.   You can try a very soft toothbrush and some mild dishwashing detergent with some warm water and it might clean up very nicely.  Cheers, Surf

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..