Old Blade In Gunto Mounts

IJASWORDS

Hi Neil,  As you are new to this, a hint on the sword smith look at the Hizen school if you still have a problem we will give you the info  but need some pics of the blade to tell you more. I had a look in Hawleys and Index of Japanese Swordsmiths for you but cannot find this mei ? there are a lot of Gimei for this smith.

Hi all, YEP found it on JSSUS. BUT, quite a few that look similar, that was my issue. I will do more research before wasting the forums time. There seems to be more interest and activity generated when a Chinese fake is posted especially in the MILITARY SECTION. I have only been a member a few days, so was taking the opportunity to identify a few puzzles related to my collection of genuine GUNTO. I assumed, probably in error, that the forum was as much about sharing collections as asking for help, as collecting is a lonely business, because there is not a collector on every street corner that you can interact with. Any way I will continue to collect/study/preserve WW2 swords and KOSHIRAE, as they are of great historical interest. Neil.

• Like 2

You can check this if you feel like you've hit a wall. :) Translations can be very tricky but we usually encourage people to try their hands on it. Of course we will also offer help as much as we can if solution does not seem to come easily.

肥前国住忠廣 - Hizen no Kuni-jū Tadahiro

• Like 2

Hi Neil, Without some pics of the blade it’s hard to say much, as I said  the mei  does not look right as there is no one signing  "Hizen no Kuni-jū Tadahiro" that I could find but that does not mean it is not a good blade. Also you are not wasting the forums time we are here to help but you have to give it some time for people to reply and its sort off policy not to post the mei  on the first day as it gives a chance for member’s who want to have a try :)  I can give you some sho-shin mei to compare your to if that helps I  have listed the ones in Hawleys that are similar but no Hizen no Kuni-jū Tadahiro ?

Hizen Kuni ju Musashi Daijo Fujiwara Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni ju Fujiwara Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni ju Omi Daijo Fujiwara Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni ju Shinsaemon Fujiwara Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni ju (Omi Daijo) Fujiwara Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni Sagami Daijo Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni ju Fujiwara Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni Tadahiro
Hizen Kuni Tadahiro

• 4 years later...

I am borrowing Neil's thread with his kind permission. As I also borrow this blade now, or keep it safe for the next generations. 

I am from Norway and collect militaria. I have a soft spot for industry design and technology. We have used the best of our technology and the brightest minds to intimidate or kill each other since the dawn of time. Attached is a Geradelaufapparat VIII (LUT1) for the German T1 torpedo. The mechanics for a single use device like this is astonishing. 

I am new to this side of collecting, and I would appreciate any hints and tips for further study of this blade. I have looked at hundreds of pictures of beautiful blades on this side, and only when I tried to photograph my own I understood the skills needed. My ugly mug ended up in the reflection of each and every one. I tried searching, but could not find any posts on sword photograpy 101. 

2.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..