Help Identify Koto Blade

IJASWORDS

Hi, I have a ww2 GUNTO (leather combat cover missing), with a KOTO blade, MUMEI with BoHi. It has a 26inch cutting edge, and 27inches to the TSUBA. It has a silver coated copper RAIN engraved HABAKI. A straight HAMON, and no other markings. It is in good shape, and feels beautifully balanced in the hand. Is it possible to make a stab at a SMITH, SCHOOL, LOCATION, DATE or any other information. Neil.

post-3858-0-25138100-1477635431_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-08901400-1477635444_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-71150900-1477635461_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-41838000-1477635476_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-14524100-1477635497_thumb.jpg

any opinion given on what can be seen in the images and in the current polish would be guesswork and not of great value. The only details you can consider are the shape and the hi.

I would suggest it is koto possibly nambokucho but more likely a little later. The way the hi is cut and where it terminates before the kissaki may point towards a particular school, possibly one of the later Bizen groups.

With no other detail visible I am afraid this is pure speculation.

Hi, thanks paulb, totally understand the difficulty identifying from poor photos. In reality I am a WW2 gunto collector that contain a lot of old blades. Whilst some have cut MEI, many are MUMEI. A good thing about SHOWATO/GENDAITO the majority are signed, even dated. At the moment I have only labeled it KOTO, awaiting more information. Neil.

Hi Neil

Having focussed on koto for the past 10 years or so and the vast majority being unsigned I know exactly what you mean.

The problem is even with blades in perfect polish identification can be (actually always is) a challenge. This is often demonstrated by the variation seen in attributions from different bodies. The less detail you can see the harder it becomes until you get to the point you are here. All you can do is try to work out what  the original size was, this will give an indicator (no more) as to the possible age. Then look at other visible features such as hi and if still there the original yasurimei and try and at least point yourself in the right direction. Once you have done that you are at the limit without being able to see details of hamon and jigane.

frustrating I know but a really good learning exercise and if you are a masochist great fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..