Wierd Gendaito Kaigunto

tokashikibob

Gents,

You may have seen this before as I spotted it on a few old boards.   I was intrigued by the tsuka, as i seem to get excited by unusual in Nihonto and also because I've tried my hand at a few wraps with the help of Thomas Bucks book.   Anyway, I bought it.

The Tsukaito is gold and the backing is a fine cloth.   However, all the fittings are standard Navy.    The scabbard is unusual and maybe not original due to theme to the piece but it fits together well and maybe is correct?

Has anybody else seen or own odd Navy koshirae blades?   

Other points of interest are what i believe to be a zodiac date and the Star stamp Endo Nagamitsu mei and a family symbol beneath the tassels on the scabbard.

Best Regards,

Bob

post-1449-0-70421100-1477506517_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-44810700-1477506550_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-54606000-1477506606_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-11826800-1477506664_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-03021900-1477506692_thumb.jpg

it looks very much like those "put togeather " pieces made up of loose fittings from a backyard dealers.

it tsukamaki work is beyond poor, and the shows no sign of use, and the tsuka looks so fat and round .

Endo Nagamitsu?? I cant see the Mei, just a date. but this smith does have a medium ranking. so you could think of a togi if the blade has merrits

Steven & Hammy,

Here's the Endo Mei.  The last inch of the nakago is gone, another mystery.   Anyway you may be right but I'm thinking some sort of Navy civilian government worker.  Tsuka is good work, Endo Nagamitsu not so much even with the star stamp.    I'll get a kurikata for it and put it away for another day.

post-1449-0-64960200-1477515287_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-70683000-1477515319_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-56624400-1477515330_thumb.jpg

post-1449-0-45269100-1477515363_thumb.jpg

The stamps on the nakago-mune are Kokura:

Army Arsenal Kokura Factory - Kokura Army Arsenal inspection mark: "Ko".

"Ko" stamp is not discovered except for the following example. It seems that the inspection mark

used the "To" commonly since most Tokyo Factories relocated to Kokura Factory.

Army Arsenal Kokura First Factory inspection mark: "Ho"

So the blade, at least, was made for an Army officer.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm completely with Stephen and Hamish on this one. An army sword with nava fittings, probably because it was put together. Sorry.

Don't think this pic will show so might remove, but it's a naval Kai-Gunto in a brown sharkskin saya with unusual fittings. I'd call that an odd koshirae and the blade is anchor stamped, though badly pitted and not worth saving sadly.post-3293-0-30446400-1477550379_thumb.jpeg

Thanks guys,

Especially Bruce, saved me time looking those kanji up.   I keep it together even if the parts are worth more than what I have in it.    I'm sure we all have repaired & refitted project blades and soon find how hard it is to get a good fit on just about anything on a nihonto.   Whomever did this one was pretty savvy.

• Like 2

no,  no they wernt. very obvious to spot.

its a good learning process for a beginner, learn what you can from it and apply it to your next item.

remember its about 'condition', considering military are so young, and easy to access. theres no reason why you cant access good examples of gunto.

not waste money on items that hurt your eyes and wallet

Thanks guys,

Especially Bruce, saved me time looking those kanji up.   I keep it together even if the parts are worth more than what I have in it.    I'm sure we all have repaired & refitted project blades and soon find how hard it is to get a good fit on just about anything on a nihonto.   Whomever did this one was pretty savvy.

Hammy,

I have many great examples of fine military outfitted blades, I look for the different nowadays.   Anyway I liked the look and it's still sharp.   I won't have a problem using it next month when the riots start if I'm out of bullets.   I'd have reservations on using one of the nice polished blades on out of control liberturds or Trumpers for that matter.

Best Regards,

Bob

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..