Researching My Wakizahi

I am new to this. I have had this sword since I found it as a child at least 40 years ago. I recently found someone to translate the writing on the tang. It was made in August 1806 by Okamoto Yasutomo. It is pitted and a few dings on it. I have found two swords made by the same person within a couple of years of mine. One is in the Gutenberg Project on Japanese Swords #35 in the pic and the other was on a list of superior ranked swords. I am trying to decide if I need to insure it, have it restored, if so by whom or if I should leave it as it is. Any help would be appreciated. Trying to figure out how to post a pic.

Gerald

post-3862-0-92432800-1477452973_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-20390000-1477453000_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-43964700-1477453026_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-46543800-1477453066_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-85207800-1477453101_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-57775800-1477453142_thumb.jpg

post-3862-0-83531400-1477453142_thumb.jpg

Hello Gerald and welcome. firstly some pics would be a good idea so we can give you better advice. I personaly think that any sword that you consider worth a lot of money, this would vary between collectors. All the best.

Greg

Ps. Please sign all posts at the bottom with 1st name.

• Like 1

If your looking for a polisher, bob benson in Hawaii is really good. David Hofhine does a decent job as well. There is also a link to a Japanese polisher in the for sale or trade section .

Regards, 

Kurt K. 

If the pitting is not too deep it could well be saved. Dont try to do anything yourself. 

• Like 1

I have been in contact with David Hofhine. I had him put me on the waiting list just in case. I will look up Bob. I just don't want to spend a ton of money if it won't increase the value to more than I spend on reconditioning. I really would like more info on the craftsman.

Gerald

Hello,

1) This sword should be properly evaluated by a qualified polisher for condition before proceeding with any thoughts of being restored. As it is, it appears to me to have a couple of significant ware in what looks to be the area of the hamon, if so, they would remain as flaws after polish. The cost of polish, habaki, shirasaya, origami, can quickly eat up the value of a sword. 

2) The mei, signature, needs to be researched and confirmed before restoration. 

3) There are only 2 fully qualified polishers in North America, Jimmy Hayashi, and Takeo Seki, and then there are others. Some of the others are fine, some are not so fine, better do your homework. 

4) As I look over these images again, I find the condition of the steel troubling.

Good luck.

Gerald,

some information form Markus book:

YASUTOMO (安俦), Bunka (文化, 1804-1818), Harima – “Setsuyō ni oite Okamoto Yasutomo tsukuru” (於摂陽 岡本安俦造), “Harima Okamoto Yasutomo tsukuru” (播磨岡本安俦造), “Banshū-jū Yasutomo” (播州住安俦), real name Okamoto Shōji (岡本庄司), he also bore the first name Kame´emon (亀右衛門), he studied under Ozaki Suketaka (尾崎助隆), Tenryūshi Masataka (天龍子正隆), Kuroda Takanobu (黒田鷹諶), and Hamabe Toshinori (浜部寿格), he also worked in Ōsaka, itame, gunome-midare, chōji, chū-saku

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..