Kissaki Flaw Or Not

cisco-san

Hello,

I found a very nice looking Gendaito.

So far so good, but the problem is that the tip on the Kissaki looks either repaired or there is a flaw...

Of course I contacted the seller, but the communication is a little bit difficult (see below).

Does Atari mean, broken tip??

I asked for high resolution photos too, but still waiting.

Answer from the seller as I asked him if this is a flaw or a repair....:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear sir
I did check Kissaki .
I can not tack this Kumori ( Cloudiness ).
I think that Atari (something Hit )
I think that can take Simple sharpening for pro workmanship .
I think that pro sharpening cost $ 200 .
I think that became beautiful Kissaki .
I can receive pro sharpening .
Sincerely

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Therefore I am kindly asking for your opinion.

Many thanks in advance.

kind Regards

Klaus

post-683-0-97794300-1476442450_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-51763900-1476442460_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-61162500-1476442470_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-30508700-1476442480_thumb.jpg

post-683-0-60952000-1476442503_thumb.jpg

Not so fast. 

Seller says that it is an "atari (something hit )".

Suggesting that maybe it was damage from a strike.

Grey deduces, without inspecting the sword firsthand, that this is just a bit of corrosion (really?).

What about umegane? A sword patch.

Just a possibility, from looking at the second photo.

Save your money for something better, Klaus.

Alan

Nobody is going to add an umegane to a kissaki that close to the tip. There is still plenty of boshi left to remove it if it was damaged. Alan, if you have held many swords and seen all different types of issues.. than you would know that it clearly looks like light corrosion that has been de-neutralized and is now just a dark patch.

Every time I clean light active surface rust off a blade it leaves a dark spot like this. Don't be so quick to dismiss (what looks like) an impressive sword.

The words the seller uses are vague because English is clearly not their first language nor do they do they know nihonto terminology.

Long story short it doesn't matter what kind of damage it is.. the boshi is healthy and a kissaki job is actually only $200. That's nothing.

I would agree with Grey it looks bad in the first two shots but I think that it's just a result of reflection and the lighting. The 3rd and 4th picks the tip looks fine and the staining is not nearly as noticeable. It looks like a nice blade and would probably be stunning in a full polish. 

I took a look at the original ebay listing, and it looks to me like the kissaki is indeed damaged. Okimitsu's works is outstanding, but with the damaged tip and somewhat short length and hefty price, I dunno. I do have an Okimitsu in mint gunto mounts with 26.5" nagasa, and I can attest to the nice quality of his work, though.

Hoanh

Nobody is going to add an umegane to a kissaki that close to the tip. There is still plenty of boshi left to remove it if it was damaged. Alan, if you have held many swords and seen all different types of issues.. than you would know that it clearly looks like light corrosion that has been de-neutralized and is now just a dark patch.

Every time I clean light active surface rust off a blade it leaves a dark spot like this. Don't be so quick to dismiss (what looks like) an impressive sword.

The words the seller uses are vague because English is clearly not their first language nor do they do they know nihonto terminology.

Long story short it doesn't matter what kind of damage it is.. the boshi is healthy and a kissaki job is actually only $200. That's nothing.

I guess that I am just an alarmist.

You are correct Josh, that I probably haven't held enough swords with issues to know what I am talking about. A patch left behind, after removed corrosion, does make sense. Just that it did look strange in the photo with the red circle. Also the photos are not very good (low resolution).

If Klaus has bought the blade, I hope that he is happy with it. Hopefully he will share some better photos, once he has the sword.

Alan

Bob benson repaired a kissaki for me in 2012 for $225 including shipping.

Come on! Seriously?

It would likely cost at least $100 to ship a sword from mainland U.S. or Canada to Hawaii one way, and that would be by budget travel. It would cost that much at a minimum to ship it by Fedex.

So he repaired it for like a hundred bucks or so, and then shipped it back to you at his expense? 

Alan

Wrong Alan

express is around 65, 2 day priority less, and Bob would give you a price according to what needs to be done, this looks like it could be less.

Large Package, weight 5 lb 0 oz (2.268 kg), mailed on October 17 after 8:00 AM
from DES MOINES IA 50316 to HONOLULU HI 96839

Priority Mail Express 2-Day™
Wed, Oct 19 by 3:00 PM
$57.55

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

Hello,

many thanks for all you comments.

Hoanh, you are right. The blade is from Okimitsu.

As I am looking since long time for a blade from Okimitsu this would be a chance, but I am still not sure.....

I asked for a high resolution picture, but still waiting.

So klaus if the blade can be bought at a good enough price to leave room for a kissaki job (if necessary).. I would buy it. If it did need repair it would just be a matter of reshaping the tip only slightly and would be a simple fix for a good polisher.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..