Obsession: Wwii Japanese Nco Samurai Swords

Corry

The best part is that it's in much better shape than the first one I bought (which is in great shape..matching etc, but is missing ~90% of the paint on the scabbard). The scabbard has matching numbers and has 90%+ of its original paint, as well as no dents. It costs $230 less as well.

• Like 1

Bruce, you helped me with my first purchase (thanks again), which is the bottom one:

"Corry, nice going for a first shot off eBay! I've gotten about a third of mine from there, but there are some real clunkers out there!

Sword was made by Ījima Tōken Seisakusho (left stamp); Inspected by Tokyo First Army Arsenal (center stamp) for the Tokyo Kokura Army Arsenal (right stamp). Likely year - 1939-41ish.

Great place to learn about these: http://ohmura-study.net/957.html#6"

Ah yes, the NCO was my first Japanese sword. Since then they are my primary interest. Just when you think you've seen them all along pops another that's somehow different from the norm. The base set is the first collecting goal. By base set I mean those from Dawsons book. Then all the arsenal, the variants, the prototype, last ditch... enough for a lifetime but not so many you could never hope to achieve a collection of significance. You are lucky to be in the US, best spot for these swords.

Good luck, don't nick all my bids on eBay!

• Like 2

All I need to complete my NCO collection is a variation 3, from Nagoya with the side latch. But that will have to wait for a few months while I save up some more fun-money!

I can point you to one for sale Bruce, if you don't mind a scabbard repaint. Matching numbers and great amount of paint remaining on handle. Just let me know if you're interested. It's a great feeling getting the complete set!

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20161013_163400.jpg

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20161013_163122.jpg

I am having a hard time with the middle marking. The first one on the left (handle in upwards orientation) is Suya, the far right is Kokura.

That's the same stamp as on the blade, Tokyo First Arsenal inspector mark. I've seen a couple others that come out like yours. The copper fuchi must be softer on some than others so the stamp comes out like a concave square.

• Like 1

I can point you to one for sale Bruce, if you don't mind a scabbard repaint. Matching numbers and great amount of paint remaining on handle. Just let me know if you're interested. It's a great feeling getting the complete set!

Dang, Steve, that's just mean! ;) I really am going to not look, because if I do I'll buy it and I really need to save my money up to pay for a polish on my Dad's Mantetsu. Thanks though!

Yeah, it was Dad's, so I've finished rebuilding it, and the final step is a polish. Over the past 2 years, though, I've developed a bit of appreciation of the "life of the sword " concept, so I'm actually in a mental debate. It's a Spring 1941 Koa Isshin and has lots of scratches, stains and 2 or 3 small chips. So it probably saw action. It would be sad to lose that by polishing it. So I'm struggling with the desire to beautify it or keep it's "history " intact.

post-3487-0-38556300-1476482361_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-82785800-1476482397_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-11771900-1476482421_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-41069500-1476482453_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-39462900-1476482495_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-09764900-1476482574_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-14847400-1476482618_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-34579200-1476482646_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-80821500-1476482665_thumb.jpg

Funny you say that Bruce, because I am much the same. I'll clean some dirt off a sword for example, but leave a bit of grease and whatnot in the cracks to prove the sword had some 'life'. I've a couple of stained and rusty NCO blades but never been able to decide if I'd like to clean them up. Not nihonto, so a buff is not tantamount to treason, but I still haven't done so yet. I had a late war NCO variant 1 in absolutely MINT unissued condition with grease stains on the blade. I kept the stains as they were part of the swords rather uneventful history.

However, while the chips may be historical, it's unlikely the Japanese officer carrying the sword you have would have allowed it to become scratched, rusty, stained etc. Those are likely the effects of time, improper care/storage or ignorant handling (sorry, couldn't think of a polite way to put it) so I'd not worry about preserving that.

I have my grandfather's sword to so I understand the desire to restore. I say go for it. It's not about money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, having fun posting things, only been a member for a day! I am sure the novelty will wear off soon. As collectors we like to share what we have with like minded people. The side latch NCO was in fact the last and hardest to find in reasonable condition to complete my NCO collection. Funny, the NCO's make up only a small percentage of my collection, but they seem to generate all my posts! Can't wait to see a topic on double hanger 94's, with MONs and old blades that I can contribute to. Neil.

post-3858-0-81720400-1477206883_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-31921900-1477206924_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..