Information About Takahashi Tsuguhira

Heringsdorf

I'm trying to gather information about the gendai smith takahashi tsuguhira.

My understanding is that he was a mukansa smith, and that he passed away in 1996?

Couldn't find anything else about him.

I'm somewhat surprised about that, especially since he was a mukansa smith.

I would appreciate any information, pictures ...etc.

Thank you.

He was a student of Miyairi Yukihira. He was also the master of a smith I visited in Japan - another Mukansa smith Matsuda Tsuguyasu. He was an exceptional smith.

Tsuguhira (次平), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Nagano – „Tsuguhira saku“ (次平作), „Takahashi Tsuguhira saku“ (高橋次平作), „Shinano no Kuni Tsuguhira“ (信濃国次平), civilian name „Takahashi Tsuguo“ (高橋次男), born 1927, he studied from 1947 under Miyairi Yukihira

(宮入行平)

Edit to add: It's tough to find much on even the best of modern smith's in English as most of the English speaking collecting world focuses on old blades (the weirdos!!!).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Maximilian.

I thought the name rang a bell and have now had time to find the reference.  A sword by him appears in an exhibition called. "The Beauty of Shinsakuto".  The exhibition was brought to the UK and the catalogue has a translation.  I can scan the translation if that would help.  The sword by him was a copy of the Nakatsukasa Masamune.  The exhibition was fabulous and the Token Society hosted a visit by Sumitani Masamine who brought along some works for us to view.  I don't think I will ever forget examining an omi yari of his with him standing just beside me.  For any gendai collector the catalogue would be a joy, I see that Grey had one but it's gone, http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b347-gendai-nihonto-no-seika-translation

Let me know if a scan would help.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..