Swords Back From Polish

All,

If you're like me, you enjoy seeing a blade discussed on the board being posted after polish was done.  I engaged Kunitaro San and his service to get these done.  The turnaround time on solid silver habaki, shirasaya, and polish for both swords was about four months from shipping to receiving.

The two swords that I had polished are as follows:

1. A yoroi-doshi tanto, signed "Morimune" on one side and "Toshihide Kakko" on the other - Meaning that Toshihide did the machiokure work.  One bit that is interesting about this is that since it was signed "Toshihide" Horii Sensei's later signature, after he changed his name and had already built up a solid reputation, it would've been far more expensive than had any young smith done it.  It says that the owner at the time greatly valued the sword.\

It was discussed here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/19523-toshihide-kakko and here: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/20055-kantei-help

A before Picture:

post-736-0-94419500-1475767794_thumb.jpg

And After:

post-736-0-48361800-1475767885_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-82537200-1475767907_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-24725900-1475767920_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-23041500-1475767940_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-13688400-1475768695_thumb.jpg

More to come on sword 2

• Like 4

Well done Joe! I especially love the tanto. The shape and heft look like it is a weapon and art. Really nice! I'm sure the pics don't do it justice (not to trouble you for more though, just to say good job).

Yeah - my pics leave a lot to be desired to be sure. They're both very nice blades.

Yeah - my pics leave a lot to be desired to be sure. They're both very nice blades.

Its always amazing to see rusty pieces turned to glory. Even though the hamon was somewhat discernible in the before photo's they came out beautiful. And 4 months for both pieces doesn't seem so bad and worth the wait!:)

Good eye to realize the potential as other Nihonto restored and saved from oblivion = some lucky collector and all who love these objects are better for your efforts. Makes us all more liable to take a chance on a rusty blade. 

• Like 1

Dear Joe san,

Thank you for your post.
and sorry for slow reaction, I was writing some stories for posting on NMB.
I explained about polishing and about how to view the blade in the post.
I explained about 5 minutes staring each section (10-15cm) on the blade.

Please check and try.... and let me know how you see.
Hope you can see different style of polishing on the blades before you sell.
If you have further question, please let me know.

Best regards,
kunitaro
  • Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..