"first" Juho Token

Ray Singer

I am curious if anyone has thoughts on this sayagaki, referring to the sword as being the first Juho Token.

http://www.aoijapan.com/katana-mumei-tegai-7

My assumption is that this is the first (or one of the first) swords appraised by the JTK. I have emailed Aoi but have not received a clear answer on this.

Best regards,

Ray

Hello Ray:

I could be wrong as to the specific reference Aoi had in mind, but the term Juho Token was used by the Toen-sha group in Japan, it being headed by the late Murakami sensei. He was a student of Hon'ami Koson I believe, well respected and once on the NBTHK Juyo panel, though memory is less clear on that last point. They published a journal, now defunct, as is the group. They were brought to San Francisco by John Yumoto for the Bi-Centennial shinsa there. I think they were well regarded at the time, but what discount would be applied to their opinions relative to the NBTHK I don't know, but probably not drastic,

Arnold F.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..