10 Years And Going

Brian

You know, I was looking back at the first posts here, and looks to me like we just passed the 10 year mark for the NMB. Wow. If you had asked me back then if we would still be here, offering free and invaluable advice on Japanese swords and stuff 10 years later, I would probably have laughed at you, and asked how many internet forums survive that long. And when you take Rich S and Rich T's part into it too...we have done something remarkable here. Not always 100% successfully, not always making everyone happy. Not always being right even. But we try, and we do it so that others can do what we do, or started to do back then.

I'd like to think that there have been a lot of friendships made on the NMB. Or through it. Some will have met in person, some only online. Some will have met clients or dealers or friends here. Some will have arranged further studies through the forum, or made arrangements for travel because of us.

Makes me glad when i think about it. Wish some of the old guys would return, and realize that there is more to this than just one or 2 persons on the other side of the world in cyberspace causing them to hold back. Some will, some won't. That's the nature of the internet.
But while I can, I will keep trying to do what we do, and when I can't..will try and pass it on to someone who can continue what Rich and Rich and Myself and those before them did.
It's not easy, and of course I would, and could, not do it without the help from Jean and John. And the members who spend so many hours helping others out there.

So while this isn't an official "10 YEARS" party...I was just replying to the birthday post in the Izakaya and it led to these thoughts. Which I think I'll move to GD so not only members can see it.

Have a good one all, and many more years here. Those who have suggestions on how we can improve or bring more people on board are welcome to pm me. Stagnant we are not.
And to those of you who have been here the whole 10 years, from the beginning of this forum incarnation, I raise a glass to you. :beer:

Best to all,

Brian

• Like 14

I've been studying about 8 years now and been on this forum for most of it. To me, it's invaluable. I think my learning curve has been accelerated due to this little corner of cyberspace.

Thanks everyone who hosts, moderates, contributes.

Happy birthday Brian!

I barely used a computer before i was referred to Nmb and now feel very honored and lucky to be a member and hope I can eventually give back as much as I get out of Nmb. Thank you Brian, Jean, John and everyone for making this all possible. Ive gained friends here that I feel very lucky to have. I hope to meet more of you in the future. Cheers Friends and all the best for the future.

Greg

• Like 1

Good idea Barry:

Thanks to Brian and all the moderators and I don't want to start naming them because sure as hell will miss someone. There have been some great posts and topics and characters on the board - tremendous knowledge shared willingly - famous and I mean famous authors on Nihonto and world reknowned experts. Quite amazing - Doc LIss, CLive SInclaire, Markos , unbelievable and then you can also contact them off the board and they continue to help. 

It should almost cost an annual membership to access !!

BRIAN _ remind us again how to donate to the address with PayPal please

• Like 1

Rich 1 when did you start? was wondering cause been here from day one i believe, Both Rich's did a outstanding job, The Brain has really taken the place to the next level. Guidos, Pete's, Paul's and Darcy's Article's alone are a gold mine  Ill donate one dollar for the next twenty members who donate 10$, better than a ice bucket challenge!

Thank you for the gesture and kind words all, and to the 4 have followed Barry's kind offer.
I'll be sending thanks in person. You guys who have been here for so many years...if I am the "Brain" as you say..they you guys are the backbone of NMB. I don't know much..I just set up the infrastructure and allow you guys to do the hard work :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hello Brian:

Hearty congratulations to you for your very helpful service, and to anyone who may have preceded you in that regard. Tuning into the NMB every morning has become a ritual for me and it is an ongoing fountain of useful information and contacts.

Following Barry's prompt, donation made.

Arnold F.

• Like 3

10 from when Brian took over, why i asked Rich S when he started. 2000? 1998? seems like it was something like that

I started my website, Japanese Sword Index in 1995, I guess it was a couple years later that I started a message board (free software). I was young and stupid then; now I'm old and stupid; but I've learned a lot from all the folks on NMB. Of course Rich Turner took it over several years later and improved it a lot, then 10 years ago Brian took charge and made it into the first class, top ranked, most used message board on Nihonto ever. Thanks much to Rich T and esp Brian - great job guys.

Rich (the ancient)

• Like 9

I started my website, Japanese Sword Index in 1995, ...

Geez, I remember your site being my very first place to go back then. I absolutely absorbed everything from your site! I can't thank y'all guys enough for providing the solid, earnest, and inspiring base for this whole internet nihonto thingy ;)

• Like 5

YOU'RE THE GRAND MASTER RICH!!! Without you we would in dire straits! Thanks for the beginning light!  

Stephen -

Not a Grand Master  by any stretch of the imagination; just a decrepit, senile old man who still loves Nihonto and knives.

Rich (the ancient)

• Like 2

Cheers for the board!

And indeed its owner and tireless moderators.

How many times has the collective knowledge of this board come to my aid? Countless times.

I foresee that when we are all gone, collectors of the future will search the arcane archives of this board, searching for knowledge.

Barrys idea is excellent, donation made.

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..