Fs: Mumei O-Suriage Thozon Katana By Shodai Sadatsuna, W/ Tanobe Sensei Sayagaki

bigjohnshea

Trying to raise some needed funds and so I am offering this sword again on the bargain side of price.

More photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqdqg3u8z703x9q/AAACRp3d-pwnXUCFNXoTWezha?dl=0

Tokubetsu Hozon Katana by the Shodai (1st generation) Sadatsuna. 

Nagasa of 25.65”

Price 7700$

Mumei, o-suriage, in shirasaya w/ sword bag

I will keep this listed for roughly 1wk then it will come down.

This is a bargain price. Another similar to it was sold by Aoi for 1000$ more, and it had no bohi, no sayagaki, and no o-kissaki.  When I acquired this sword it was priced much higher, but I can’t hold onto it anymore.  I can offer a little more room to trim here on the price if someone needs it, but this is a very generous offer for someone determined to get a sword close to the lineage of Masamune.

Iwami Sadatsuna worked in Sekishu region of Japan, which is the current day western portion of Shimane prefecture.  Sadatsuna’s work is representative of the Soshu school.  He was most active between 1346-1370, during the war torn period of the “Nambokucho jidai.” (1334-1392)  Nambokucho means “South and North Courts Period” named as such due to the establishment at that time of Northern and Southern Imperial Courts, which ofcourse had conflicting ideologies.

According to the history books Sadatsuna is the son of Shodai Sekishu Naotsuna, who is something of a legend due to his status as one of the Masamune Jutetsu, or Masamune's 10 Great Students.  Swords by these 10 masters are some of the most revered and valuable works that a collector can acquire.  Masamune himself is widely regarded as Japan's greatest swordsmith, and every one of his blades is considered a National Treasure.

While Naotsuna's relation to Masamune is thought to be more of an informal mentorship than that of a true apprentice, he still excelled as a student nearly unrivaled in skill.  Both Naotsuna and Sadatsuna show a clear relation to the work of Masamune, and Sadatsuna has numerous Juyo rated swords as well, which is a testament to his skill, and to the tutelage from his father.

Like this one, the majority of Sadatsuna's swords are o-suriage (shortened, from the handle up) due to changes in preference for sword length over the periods of Japanese history. 

Additionally, the shirasaya (resting sheath) bares a sayagaki (calligraphy appraisal) by Tanobe Machihiro, which also attributes the blade to Shodai Sadatsuna.  Machihiro is a widely published author on the topic of Nihonto.  He served for a time as the curator of The Japanese Sword Museum in Tokyo, as well as the Senior Managing Director of the NBTHK.  His books form some of the foundational works of Japanese sword study, and for this reason he is commonly referred to as Tanobe Sensei.  A sayagaki by him is a cherished addition to any blade.

Details: This sword is in the same great condition as it was when I received it and started studying it.  There are some comments in the photos concerning imperfections, but obviously nothing preventing a THozon paper. I would prefer payment via bank transfer, and will cover shipping within the USA. International shipping will be extra. If you want to pay via Paypal that would be fine but I will ask you cover the fees. 

Thanks for looking!

Please emial me at bigjohnshea@gmail.com with interest, or PM me here. 

post-2184-0-06964600-1474766881_thumb.jpg

Greg,

Thank you for your comment. :-)

In truth, this really is a beautiful sword with an impecable lineage, and the best possible provenance you could ask for in a mumei blade with attribution. THozon may not be as impresive as Juyo, but it's just as reliable for a student, and doesn't come with the bloated price tag these days. There was a time when THozon swords sold regularly in the five figures range, but if you look around these days you don't see alot of that action.

Buying a THozon blade like this, at this excellent price, gives a student of Nihonto many benefits.

1) It's affordable by most people with a reasonable income.

2) It has appreciable beauty, and is easy to admire. Perhaps not as perfect as a Juyo sword, but more than enough beauty for someone who isn't trying to build a collection that will inflate their ego.

3) If, like me, you still consider yourself a student of Nihonto, then swords like this are invaluable resources. You get to study the work of a master, in hand, and know for certain what you are looking at because it has been papered twice and then given Sayagaki by the best mind in the business. In a world were attributions change from one shinsa to the next, having a sense of certainty about what you are studying is important. There is no doubt that this is what it is.

I've owned dozens of Nihonto in the past, and generally do not hold onto them once I'm done studying them. I have one I'd like to keep, thus far, but others I'm happy to move along so I can study another. This is my situation here, and I've been at this for a good while now.

Cheers!

• Like 3

This is my only price drop because I cannot accept less than this. I have plans for the money and it requires atleast this much.

Now 7200$

Folks, look at the sword market... There are THozon tantos by famous smiths from the Nambokucho listed for 6000$. This is a katana by a master listed for 1200$ more than that.

Someone should buy this before I have second thoughts about selling it for so little...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..