Fs: Sashimono

md02geist

Gearing up some funds to make a blade purchase, so I'm going to offer up this sashimono for sale. I picked it up months ago from a fellow NMB member from Europe and it is in excellent condition; estimated to be a few hundred years old.

It came from an old kura in Japan along with several other items and was judged by several very knowledgeable individuals to be genuine. It is in good shape despite the age and seems to have been fairly well preserved in the kura.

I was unable to track down this particular mon (the eight sided shape in particular is what eluded me) but as I understand it ivy leaves (the leaf in the middle is certainly an ivy leaf) were well known to be associated with the Matsudaira clan or the Shogunate and their various retainer families.

Further discussion on it can be found here:

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/19580-sashimono-acquisition/

I am asking $1000 via paypal OBO, and price includes shipping and insurance within the continental U.S.

Not averse to a partial trade plus cash if you have something I may be interested in? Never hurts to ask.

I have no issue shipping it out of country but it may incur a few extra costs for obvious reasons of shipping being more expensive.

Please PM me if you have any questions or are interested. Thank you!

post-1387-0-72807500-1474741247_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-49304700-1474741252_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-76142300-1474741257_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-32569200-1474741267_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-62440200-1474741273_thumb.jpg

Nice. I keep handy Hawley's and Chappelear's book 'MON - The Japanese Family Crest' handy for such occasions. I have had the Tsuta (ivy) mon on a lacquer choshi (sake pot) before. Hawley and Chappelear indicate it "is the representative mon of the Matsudaira clan", adopted after the Tokugawa reserved the Aoe mon for their exclusive use. The reference lists a number of other families (some perhaps Matsudaira branches) including Daimyate and a couple generals from late Muromachi using variants.

Lee

Nice. I keep handy Hawley's and Chappelear's book 'MON - The Japanese Family Crest' handy for such occasions. I have had the Tsuta (ivy) mon on a lacquer choshi (sake pot) before. Hawley and Chappelear indicate it "is the representative mon of the Matsudaira clan", adopted after the Tokugawa reserved the Aoe mon for their exclusive use. The reference lists a number of other families (some perhaps Matsudaira branches) including Daimyate and a couple generals from late Muromachi using variants.

Lee

Thank you Lee, that is exactly the sort of information I was trying to convey but you did much more succinctly for me. 

I'm honestly debating selling this one because of the likelihood of where it came from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived