Interesting Mino Vs Kyo Kinko

Mantis dude

Hi all,

I hope all are well, I haven't been around much.  I came across this tsuba and was surprised to see it had papers to kyo kinko.  Obviously, Mino comes to mind first and if not them I would have thought Nagoya-mono from Owari (Mino like tsuba attributed to them).  But I was very surprised to see kyo kinko.  It would help perhaps with a better translation.  I have an idea of what it says but a more exacting translation would be helpful.  This adds another name into what I think is becoming a confusing mix, especially when I think most of us would say Mino right away.  Appreciate any comments.

post-23-0-62892600-1473985634_thumb.jpg

More pictures, Paper and comments can be found at http://cgi.shoubudou.co.jp/tuba-776.html

Thanks.

Ken

Kyō-kinkō is a sort of an attribution in between Kyō-kanagushi (lower quality) and Mino (higher quality). Maybe the materiaal (yamagane and not shakudō) had part in the attribution. BTW, the paper say yamagane-nanako-ji but I'm unable to see any nanako ground.

Bye, Mauro

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

Doing a google image search on Kyo Kinko tsuba and Mino as well, while I would surely stumble trying to put into words the differences and likenesses, I do visually see more similarity in the tsuba identified as Kyo Kinko examples of the same theme especially when it comes to composition than the ones identified as Mino or Mino-Goto with the one in your post. Would tend to agree with Mauro that for the most part there looks to be a quality difference, too.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I will do some image searching but there are poorly done mino or should I say not high quality mino.  Not all Mino are shakudo.  They definitely worked in copper and do an "imitation" shakudo- As an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superb-Mino-school-Japanese-Edo-18th-C-Samurai-Antique-Tsuba-Mantis-B890-/401109364541?hash=item5d63fb2f3d:g:GlcAAOSwAvJXBjgI.  Although, Yamagane might be a material not attributed to the Mino school.  I know another Yamagane piece that was attributed to Nagoya-mono from Owari (not sure was papered though).  I will keep on looking.  I have always wanted to try and peg down differences between Mino and Mino-goto.  These attributions have been thrown about together but not sure they are clearly defined (no surprise there in this hobby).  Now we have these other attributions, as I said this is the first Kyo Kino attribution I have seen on "mino" esque piece ie.  insects & autumn grasses.  It's definitely a case where I see similar pieces with different attributions.  You can never take anything for granted!

Steve M was kind enough to translate the seller's comments 

This piece is finely crafted with ridges around the seppa-dai and hitsu-ana, and while the theme is reminiscent of Mino, the lack of ridge around the rim, as well as the the carving of the design seem to have lead to an attribution of "Kyō-kinkō". However, Kenichi Okubo's "Minobori Metalwork" features some unconventional Minobori tsubas from the end of the Edo era which similarly have no ridges, therefore this piece can be said to fall into the category of late Edo Mino tsubas.

So it seems the edge is the main issue of contention.  I will look through all the tsuba pictures I have saved and see if any similar pieces were papered or at least given different attributions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..