Sarah Beeny's Four Rooms

Davis

Did anyone else in the UK see the above TV programme?  It showed, I believe, a fellow board member of this forum selling a sword to a London dealer for a hefty sum.  I've just got home and too tired at the moment to provide a link but if you google the above and look at episode 4 you might get it.

Regards

Mick

• Like 2

A Nick! So there you are :)

Beautiful sword. Hate all the "terrifying" and "Ooh, how scary comments" that are so typical from the UK nowdays. But it was nice to see such a stunning piece featured. I assume it wasn't really for sale? Look at that habaki and those fittings!

• Like 1

I asked myself the same question Brian.  Reminded me very much of another TV programme "Dealers" in which a well known dealer offered a pair of swords. Thanks Gordon although for some reason that link didn't work for me. At the end of the show we were told that Andrew Lamberty had sold the sword to a museum in America, I wonder which one!

Mick

• Like 1

Thanks very much Gordon, the problem was with my poor computing skills.  I've watched it again and thought that Nick delivered a very polished presentation and the film conveyed the stunning beauty of the sword.  Hopefully, it will have created some very positive interest with the viewing public.

Mick

• Like 2

Only saw a bit of that show, to be honest I switched it off. Beeny was on another Sunday morning tv show being interviewed, they asked her about the sword. I cant remember her exact words, but something along the lines of "gastly, don't know why anyone would want them in the house". I did fancy her but that put me right off, narrow minded so and so :laughing: 

• Like 1

Hi Guys, was pleased to see that some of you were able to catch the episode.  

I did my best to represent the Nihonto but TV is TV and they need to keep their audience entertained. I was quite pleased with the filming as it showcased the sword well. Nice crew and they had a great respect for the item with handling and appreciation of its history. 

The question some of you had was if the deal was real or not, most aspects of it actually were. The order in which the deals played out was actually the same as the filming order. The premises of the show is that each dealer is obligated to make an offer so if they weren't interested in the piece then they would make a low ball offer knowing I would decline. Once an offer is made and refused I could not return to that room, so I guess I read each dealer well in this case. The offers were indeed real offers but nothing set in stone, if an amount is agreed by both parties we still have a grace period of time to back out of the deal.
Andrew really did want the piece, so much that during the negotiations he actually told the crew to stop filming so he could see the item again and have me explain it in detail. He didn't know much about Nihonto but he did know that this piece was quality with incredible provenance. Ultimately the deal fell apart but I'm happy it did because the piece did end up going to a museum in the US, the only inaccuracy is it was me that sold it to the museum (sorry my client asked to be anonymous). However Andrew did in the end buy a great Tachi. 

Thanks Mick for starting the Thread and for the kind opinions.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification Nick, and very glad it worked out the way it did. Interesting that it isn't as staged as I assume many similar shows are. Sounds like Andrew is a convert..which is excellent.

All in all, a positive story and well represented.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to open the link and spent the next 1/2 hr trying to get rid of the ADWARE and other s**t that the link put on my computer - be careful opening the downloads and if anyone finds a site where there are a direct link to the TV station or show let  me know :

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sarah-beenys-four-rooms/on-demand/62809-004

that may be better 

NOPE + cant get it to play !!@@

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..