Mei Help, Yoshimitsu Mashup :)

Salvatori Moretto

Hello and thank you all in advance :)

Need some help and honest opinions.

Just picked up this blade and was told the mei reads yoshimitsu, it does appear to do so, but any idea which one from what you see?

I plan on having it polished very soon and having the saya restored (THAT SAME" IS BEAUTIFUL) and then finishing the mounts according to how well it polishes.

Thanks again everyone!
Cheers,
Sal

post-3341-0-70528300-1473604990_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-64091000-1473604991_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-48592500-1473604992_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-15846900-1473604993_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-08055300-1473604994_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-10244900-1473605115_thumb.jpg

Sal,

To my eyes would guess heat damage, plus shintetsu. Being no expert look forward to hearing/learning what the polisher says?

While I do not recall seeing more recent results generally speaking keep in mind that in past shinsa here in the U.S. it was not uncommon for over a 60% pink slip rate. And those blades seem to stay in circulation. As the fortune cookie says, don't mistake temptation for opportunity. 

• Like 1

Sal,

And I would add to Franco's words, don't mistake opportunity with good deal.

The koshirae is a mismatch with the blade. You easily can see that a koshirae which needs 5 seppa to be adjusted to the blade is a mismatch.

The close up of the kissaki shows at the level of the yokote something which could look as an umegane.

This kissaki needs to be reshaped. You will need a new tsuka if the sheath is Ok, just to avoid the 5 sepas. If the sheath does not fit, forget it.

So, polishing the blade, let's say 1500$, shirasaya 450$, tsuka+same+ito 400$, fittings for the saya+same mending: 400$.

Total, roughly 2750/3000$. Not sure this sword is worth it (it is a wakizashi)

Ths one is better and cheaper:

http://www.aoijapan.com/wakizashi-echizen-kami-minamoto-rai-nobuyoshi

• Like 4

Well for a katana length project blade at 27.5 inches, that I was hoping to learn more from, I think it will suit my needs :) If it polishes all the better of coarse ;)

As far as the tsuka I knew it was a mismatch and of poorer quality to begin with, as the same with the overly rusted tsuba. I make my own tsuka and stock samegawa and ito so I have no out of pocket expense there unless I decided to do something special koshirae wise if it polishes out.

I'm just super excited, if this one turns out ok it might be the first one I plan to keep for myself, if not, one to save from further destruction and pass along for other beginner collectors to learn from.

Thanks everyone! If my polisher thinks this one is worth restoration than I'll update this thread with photos and start a new thread for it as more work gets done.

Thanks again for all the good advice and feedback!
Cheers,

Sal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..