Wooden Handled Type 95's

Shamsy

21 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Never seen anything like it.  But long ago, I learned to "never say never, nor always"  with gunto!

I'd ask Stegel or Shamsy.  I've seen saya with no numbers, but none with numbers WAY out of sequence like that.  I wonder if there was a larger number that has somehow been ground off.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Waiting for Stegel & Shamsy on this.  In the meantime, I have seen poorly struck numbers and stamps.  This 212xxx is a normal serial number range for a late-war 95.  I think the last number was so lightly struck that it has sort of disappeared over time.  The saya number is really strange, though.

missing number.jpg

The numbers are imbedded in the medal, my wife and I could not feel any other number, just very smooth, it’s very strange 

With the additional picture, the sword shows evidence of rust being removed from the blade.  It seems in the process the last digit got lost in the process and probably the inspection mark too.  The last visible 9 is also faded from the cleaning.  The serial number is thus 21279X.  The style of the serial numbers that remain are consistent with those used by Nagoya.  As for the scabbard, someone else will need to comment on that.

• Like 2

I agree with Kippu and Bruce on this one, Blade has been cleaned and last digit being faintly struck, was removed.
A nicer picture Cliff, sharper and higher resolution in better lighting would help further.
I have added some examples from the serial number range which we suspect your sword is from, and there are some with the last digit being very faintly struck for you to see.
The scabbard is the first that i have seen with 2 digits, i have seen them with 3 and the orientation of the numbers is correct, however the blades are all in the 300k range. BangBangSan has a few aswell, i tried to find the thread where he posted but had no luck.
So i believe the sword is a Pattern 5, with the last digit of the serial number missing (possibly to over polishing in the past), the scabbard i tend to think is mismatched with another from the 300k serial range, just prior to the introduction of the Pattern 6 version from the Jinsen Arsenal. These have wooden scabbards which are not numbered, and the handle although appearing similar, is more thicker and larger.

BTW- Geoff, please post some clear photos of your swords numbers, 5 digits doesn't sound right to me at the moment.

212009 Seki After SN.jpg

212712 A.jpg

212754 A.jpg

212883 A.jpg

211432 Seki Before SN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is one other scabbard that I remember and it is coming via @Shamsy.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:10 AM, Shamsy said:

Mine has number 297 (pretty sure or maybe 2X7?) On the saya. However, it does have a serial number on the blade, very faint. 300103 I'm guessing. Last number is half stamped but 3 is likely. It's in the Jinsen font too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, I was doing some research on the sword I have, it’s been passed Down for the past three generations now from my Great Grandfather who was an officer and a Sea Bee over in Guam eventually Island hopping to the mainland of Japan where I’m told he acquired this sword during the surrender. He also brought back a pistol, a parachute, and a battle flag. The pistol belongs to my father, the other two I’ve never laid eyes on. But from what I can tell mine is variation 1 of the wood handle. I don’t know all these terms you guys are using but the top part of the scabbard near that retention screw is the same color as the rest of the scabbard, not black like I saw in pics of variation 2. I will post some pics and see what you guys think. I’ve been told my whole life that it was an officer’s sword but boy do I have some news for my father and grandfather. This sword belonged to a working man.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..