Difficult Netsuke Mei?

Hi Piers,

My guess would be "Masahiro" (政広), but if the sôsho is not conscientiously written - like here or maybe like always ;) - it could be nearly anything.

Thanks Markus. Much appreciated. I'll go back and check this evening to see if it fits, and tell you what I find out, if anything. :)

There are two Masahiros mentioned in Ueda Reikichi, both starting with 正, and one ending with 弘 and the other with 廣. Could be a later artist, though.

PS I like your avatar. I had a particularly fine kabuto-wari with the kikusui mon in gold and silver done beautifully on the 'blade'. (Sold it to a collector friend)

In my experience, this kind of "scratched" (rather than properly carved), hard to decipher "Mei" in a cursive style is typical for carvers' marks in workshops. Not really a Mei per se, just marking one's carvings to count the output come payday. Also - although pictures can be deceiving - the ivory looks "smoked", a method to produce an artificial patina.

http://forums.netsuke.org/tool/post/net ... id=2347051

This is the original thread. It's a Hannya mask, I think.

I too am not too happy with the material itself, as Guido points out. It looks a bit like resin? I don't even feel comfortable with the expression on the face... almost too close to something in a Spiderman comic. Someone on another forum suggested 'Rantei' for the Mei as you will see at the bottom of the thread.

When I get home tonight I will hit the books again and see if the Mei of Nobody or the idea of Morita san is/was on any list of known Netsuke carvers. We could very well be on a wild goose chase, though.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

The Lazarnick books (http://www.amazon.com/NETSUKE-INRO-ARTISTS-Their-Signatures/dp/091706402X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197957299&sr=8-5) are the best source available for checking Netsuke signatures; I'll do just that when I get home tonight. However, I'm not exactly holding my breath in this case ... :?

The Lazarnick books (http://www.amazon.com/NETSUKE-INRO-ARTISTS-Their-Signatures/dp/091706402X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197957299&sr=8-5) are the best source available for checking Netsuke signatures; I'll do just that when I get home tonight. However, I'm not exactly holding my breath in this case ... :?

You have those Guido? :shock: They're quite expensive. I am sure they are great, but I have never quite plucked up enough courage to buy them!!! :doubt:

How about 翁亭 ? Okina-tei was a Netsuke carver, in ivory, in the mid-Edo period.

Akiie / Masaie 晶家 and Okinatomi 翁富 are not listed in Lazarnick, Brockhaus, Davey etc.

Masahiro 政廣 is, but the Mei looks *very* different.

Okinatei 翁亭 is only mentioned in Bushell / Ueda, and Davey and Lazarnick think it's a misreading of Osai 翁齋 - which comes quite close to your signature, but I don't think it's a real match.

post-13-1419674318588_thumb.jpg

Ueda says under 'Osai' that he is the same person as 'Okina-tei'!!!

Maybe we're onto something here... excellent! :lol:

(A couple of hours later at home.)

*According to Ito Ryuichi they were the same person, real name 石岡 Ishioka, who worked in ivory in late Edo.

If no-one adds to this, then perhaps I should attract fatphilip's attention to this discussion. May I say thank you all in the meantime for your fantastic narrowing-down powers of detective work! It feels as though something has been unblocked. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..