4K Katana Project

Not sure if anyone else had seen this, it's news to me but looks like it will be quite nice. From what I've found they filmed over 15,000 hours of footage in ultra high definition (4K) and they have captured all stages of making a traditional sword, by Yoshihara Yoshindo no less! 

Here are a few links. 

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/03/01/sword-enthusiasts-heres-the-katana-documentary-you-wont-want-to-miss-【video】/ 

https://www.makuake.com/project/4kkatanaproject/ 

I hope the links work.

Says they are hoping to release it in August 2016.

If anyone knows how order this I would really like to know.

Cheers, Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the whole thing today,

the subtitles flash by a little too quick in places but otherwise great photography and detailed explanations of each stage in the production of a sword, shirasaya and full koshirae. 110 minutes and a bargain to boot.

-t

• Like 1

They were for sale at Mr. Yoshihara's (believe that's who it was) table in San Francisco.  It may be that someone associated with the show has some copies to sell?

Grey

You are correct it was Yoshihara selling signed copies for I believe $50 each. I heard they went quickly but that sales of the DVD's should be coming out this fall.

Hope you've got unlimited data and one heck of a connection...

They're currently putting in Google Fiber in my area, can't wait for them to come around and hook me up. The US ranks something like 25th in the world in internet speeds but at least Google Fiber will make this area much better than that. I think it's 1000Mbps where normally I'm lucky to get 150Mbps.

I shared a Lift ( a conveyance which you Colonials refer to as an Elevator) ride with Yoshihara Sensei at DTI once, a very brief and wonderful conversation ensued, for me at least.

I read him as a very decent chap.

If he says he will share it with NMB, then it will be so.

He is "Old School".........................................................................................................................................(If you know what that means). :thumbsup:

Pip Pip Cheerio.

• Like 1

Okay, if you're planning to play a 4K DVD, there are some things you should know so you won't be wasting your money. The company I own has been dealing in video production since 1986, so we have a bit of experience.

First, make sure that you really do have a true 4K TV! This sounds pretty basic, but there are a lot of companies supposedly offering "4K resolution" that are really upconverting 1920X1080 video signals. So check the specs to be sure that you have true, unconverted either 3840X2160 or 4096X2160 pixels (doesn't matter which).

Second, will you be able to SEE the 4K image? Again, this sounds basic, but really isn't. Let's assume that you have 20/20 vision. If so, then to actually benefit from the higher resolution of 4K, you need to be sitting within 1.5 times the height of your 4K TV. So, looking at my own LG 4K OLED TV, it has a screen height (measured top to bottom of active pixels) of only 26.25" (66.7 cm). So unless I move my massage chair or love seat to 39.4" (100 cm) from the center of the screen, I won't be able to see the extra pixels. And, again, this assumes I have 20/20 vision in both eyes (only one eye for me, at age 70). FYI, for the older HD TV screens, the optimal distance is 3 times the screen height.

Third, what you see also depends on what type of cables you use. If you're connecting via a cable box, you'll be using an HDMI cable; if from a computer, you'll use a DisplayPort cable. Even here, though, there are things to consider. There are four types of HDMI cables, depending on the internal connectors, so what you are looking for is an HDMI 2.0a or 2.2 cable, which will allow you to view 4K at 60 frames per second (older types limit you to 30 frames/second).

I'm not going to touch on the 4K DVD players yet, as there's still a lot of non-standard devices on the market, & until the HDMI 2.2 standard is finalized, you're taking your chances, even with big companies like Samsung.

My apologies for any technology headaches! 

Ken

• Like 1

That resolution goes back quite a few years, Guido, and used to be called Standard Definition, or SD, and is also called Analog TV. Two decades ago, U.S  stations started broadcasting in High Definition, or HD, which is 1920X1080, and is Digital TV. Countries may use NTSC (National Television System Committee), PAL (Phase Alternating Line), or SECAM (Sequential Color with Memory) for color encoding, but all digital TVs now use a method called progressive to place the "lines" of video on-screen, while the old analog TVs used a method called interlaced, so when you see the term "1080p," it means you're seeing a 1920X1080 progressive video signal. For more info on interlaced signals, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video.

Japan was the first country to develop UHD, or Ultra-High Definition, with quadruples the HD resolution to 3840X2160 resolution (aka 4K), & although it sounds wonderful (& is), there really isn't much content available as yet. I get most of mine from Amazon Prime, but for a list of what's available, check out http://technabob.com/blog/2016/06/17/all-the-4k-content-you-can-now-stream/, & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution for info on 4K.

Ken

That's because DVDs are also encoded to either HD or, in the case of the katana project, UHD resolution, & the digital circuitry in the new DVD players support those higher resolutions.

There's nothing magical about the higher resolutions, just as you are probably running higher resolution on your computer than the old VGA 640X480, & for the same reason. What is really required is just a lot more bandwidth, so that the fatter signals can be pushed through the same pipe.

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..