Katana By Masanaga

Marius G

This is one of the signatures of the third generation Masahiro. First signed as Hironaga. Received the title of Bitchu daijo in 1665.

Dale

Thank you very much for your reply!

Does Bitchu Daijo mean something? Is it a good swordsmith?

I bought the sword because I liked the shape and the Hamon, but I have no idea whether the sword is of good quality or not, or whether the swordsmith is good or not. Anyhow the sword looks very nice, with very fine hada and very beautiful hamon. :)

And I will certainly take very good care of it!

Thanks Stephen.

Bitchu daijo is an honorary title.  It means assistant lord of Bitchu province.

The Hizen Masahiro line of smiths is very well regarded.  I am not sure how the third generation ranks.  If you google sandai Masahiro you should find information.

I have not attempted to validate the signature as genuine, however the work and shape of the sword look like Hizen Masahiro work.

Nice sword and nice mounts

Dale

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen.

Bitchu daijo is an honorary title.  It means assistant lord of Bitchu province.

The Hizen Masahiro line of smiths is very well regarded.  I am not sure how the third generation ranks.  If you google sandai Masahiro you should find information.

I have not attempted to validate the signature as genuine, however the work and shape of the sword look like Hizen Masahiro work.

Nice sword and nice mounts

Dale

Thank you very much again for your help!

I trust the sword/signature is genuine as I bought it from AoiArt/Japan and it also has the NBTHK Tokubetsu Kicho paper.

Best regards... and have a nice weekend! :)

Marius G

I think you did very well with the Masanaga. I clearly remember that sword when it was listed for sale and how much I liked it at the time. It reminded me of a nidai (Kawachi no Kami) in a good friend's collection. Sandai works seem to be relatively rare on the market. Enjoy.

Best regards,

Ray

It is a quality sword and the hamon has similarities to the abunome gonome hamon (horsefly eyes) of the first two generations. The very fine hada you described is known as konuka hada and is representative of the school. I would suggest finding a copy of Roger Robertshaw's book on the Hizen Tadayoshi school. This will give you a tremendous amount of background on his lineage. Hizento.net

Best regards,

Ray

I bought the sword because I liked the shape and the Hamon, but I have no idea whether the sword is of good quality or not, or whether the swordsmith is good or not. Anyhow the sword looks very nice, with very fine hada and very beautiful hamon. :)

Beautiful Hizen-to Marius. Awhile back I sold/part traded my Hizen Masanaga katana. It also had a full signature that ended close to the end of the nakago as your sword does. It was a tough one to part with! I'll see if the owner might share a photo or so for you here. Hamon was a little different, more like a cluster of midare-gunome, some suguha, another cluster and so-on. Mr. Tanobe told me that to find an intact, full mei of Masanaga (sandai Masahiro) is rare to find. I've always found the works of Hizen Masahiro and his brother Yukihiro quite interesting and once had several generations to lay out together for study. Today I have only my early found shodai Masahiro and Yukihiro, but have added three sword by their father, Hizen Yoshinobu, brother-in-law of mainline Tadayoshi. Again, congratulations! 

Ron STL

• Like 1

Beautiful Hizen-to Marius. Awhile back I sold/part traded my Hizen Masanaga katana. It also had a full signature that ended close to the end of the nakago as your sword does. It was a tough one to part with! I'll see if the owner might share a photo or so for you here. Hamon was a little different, more like a cluster of midare-gunome, some suguha, another cluster and so-on. Mr. Tanobe told me that to find an intact, full mei of Masanaga (sandai Masahiro) is rare to find. I've always found the works of Hizen Masahiro and his brother Yukihiro quite interesting and once had several generations to lay out together for study. Today I have only my early found shodai Masahiro and Yukihiro, but have added three sword by their father, Hizen Yoshinobu, brother-in-law of mainline Tadayoshi. Again, congratulations!

Ron STL

Thank you! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..