Where Do You Buy Your Cleaning Cloths From?

manfrommagnum

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys.,

I use HS Walsh Jewellers' Supplies in UK.

Selvyt Micro Fibre Size "C" 354mm x 431mm. costs £5.20 plus reasonable postage in UK.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/selvyt-cloth-microfibre-size-%E2%80%9Cc%E2%80%9D-354mm-x-431mm-hp1253

They also do "Renaissance wax" and a host of other goodies.

https://www.hswalsh.com/search-products?search_api_views_fulltext=renaissance+wax

There are two Universal truths.....Women love Shoes and Shiny things....... :rotfl: 

I'd say whatever Country your are in should have a Jewellers' Supplies company, forget Amazon and shop local :) .

Cheers

Hi Peter., 

I don't know the Microdear cloths.

Speaking from my own experience, Selvyt is a really good product, I use it on Nihon - To; I also use it on sterling silver, 18 and 22 carat gold and gem set items,  (I don't mix cloths however, one for each specific material). I always check stone settings and mounts with a 10x loupe after cleaning, it does not seem to mark the surface as far as I can tell. (It is also used on Panavision & Arriiflex Lenses in the Movie Industry).

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Micro Fiber for nihonto?

Micro Fiber holds fine particles. I think to use it is the best way to ruin the polish?

There are some long conversations on this site about cleaning and maintenance, and no wonder with the money a polish costs.  Look them up, and come to your own conclusions. I will point out though that they are used in Japan, and sometimes the Togishi recommend them. 

Speaking from my own experience, Selvyt is a really good product, I use it on Nihon - To; I also use it on sterling silver, 18 and 22 carat gold and gem set items,  (I don't mix cloths however, one for each specific material). I always check stone settings and mounts with a 10x loupe after cleaning, it does not seem to mark the surface as far as I can tell. (It is also used on Panavision & Arriiflex Lenses in the Movie Industry).

I bought a couple, seem good so far. I still prefer the microdear, but as they are impossible to get hold of in UK these are adequate replacements.

• Like 1

Stephen was kind enough to take delivery of some microdear cloths for me and forward them on. I only use them for my full Polish blades, one to remove oil another to put oil on but they're far superior to normal microfiber cloths so worth it considering the cost of a full Polish.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..