Tanto Mei

RobertM

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some help on this one. I can make out Kane Naga? I was told the tanto was shin-shinto but it looks to me if its late meji early showa? Was muji hada common for tantos of this age? The tanto's been recently polished by someone in the uk and I will add additional photos when available.

thanks in advance

Rob M

post-145-1419673393327_thumb.jpg

I have no idea about the smith, but did come up with this interesting (and possibly unrelated?) piece of info here:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread ... adid=51942

Down in the middle of the article, S. Wuttke mentions:

Very nice mei. it reads "Kiku ichi monji kinsei" Respectfully made by kiku ichimonji. This signature is interesting for the reason of having "kiku" included. the only known smith ( far as i know ) who used this signature is Goshiro Kanenaga from Yamato, ca. 1870. He signed also Seiryuken. Indeed I do have an tanto of this man on my writing table.."

Perhaps this will lead to further info, or maybe someone will have more info.

Regards,

Brian

• 1 year later...
Guest nickn

from the hamon i would say showa

i have a similar tanto ,it even has the same shira saya, with the kiku ichi monju signature which came with a leather combat cover like those you see on so called kamikazi pilots tanto i will find it and post some photos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..