Yari Purchase

md02geist

Picking up this yari. Information from seller as follows:

Yari in Shirasaya (without the Tsuka)
Signature : Mumei.
Blade length : 26.4 cm or 10.39 inches.
Mekugi : 1
Width at the hamachi : 2.49 cm or 0.98 inches.
Kasane : 0.83 cm or 0.32 inches.
Era : Late Muromachi period.

Speculation by the seller is that it was likely samurai owned (due to condition and craftsmanship) and potentially utilized in a scouting unit or from horseback given the slightly smaller size versus some of the much larger blades (the 2' type etc).

I really love the shape and workmanship of it and the fuller on one side gives it a very nice look to my eyes. The hamon looks wonderful.

Not bad in my opinion for a first nihonto.

post-1387-0-95874600-1469387086_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-49274300-1469387091_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-30263900-1469387099_thumb.jpg

post-1387-0-92812100-1469387104_thumb.jpg

I understand the triangular shape of it denotes it as a sankaku yari but I see a hamon along the edge, differentiating it from a lot of sankaku yari as I understand a lot of sankaku yari were not sharpened on the edge to slash with? This one clearly looks capable of slashing.

I tend to differentiate ashigaru from samurai although I know that in some provinces ashigaru *were* considered samurai. The excellent condition, length of blade and differential hardening (and thus increased expense) and workmanship make me think this was no basic, impoverished ashigaru weapon (or if it was, perhaps it was given to them by a well off master).

This is of course all speculation, mostly by the seller. If the original owner ever shows up on my doorstep and lets me know how he got it I'll be surprised (and calling Ghostbusters probably).

Rob,

I have never seen a YARI without YAKIBA. Have a look at pictures, most of them are clearly differentially hardened, which is not a big deal in the production process of a YARI.

I do not think that there are slashing techniques with short YARI, besides parrying. I once have seen a wide and long (if I remember correctly, more than 60 cm plus NAKAGO!) YARI which might have been suited for that, but they are mainly pole arms for stabbing, unlike NAGINATA.  

I can understand that you do not like to see your precious YARI in the hands of a simple ASHIGARU, but of course there were SAMURAI fighting with YARI - not all were on horseback! (See: After the rain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBp2TN8m4ws)

• Like 2

I have no problem if it was an ashigaru.

I just think that likely due to the condition and quality (and this was suggested to me by the seller, which I agree with although I admit I am not a professional but merely someone who has begun to dabble) it may very well not be a poor common footsoldier's weapon. Possible? Sure. Possibly not? Sure.

I know there were samurai who fought on foot. This to me just doesn't seem like what a poor or mass issue peasant conscript would be wielding. Again, still possible of course. But I wouldn't expect the refinement here.

Either way thanks for linking me a new movie to watch! I look forward to it.

There's an excellent chance that your nice yari was used by a series of Samurai, ashigaru, & who knows who else. Many spears were picked up on battlefields, & wielded as needed. I agree that most sankaku yari were well-made, including mine.

Ken

There's an excellent chance that your nice yari was used by a series of Samurai, ashigaru, & who knows who else. Many spears were picked up on battlefields, & wielded as needed. I agree that most sankaku yari were well-made, including mine.

Ken

That's a very good point!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..