Yari Blade Lengths

Hello all,

I wondered why we see so many different blade lengths of yari over the years. I have seen (only pictures mind you) some that were super short only a few inches long, and some that were ~2-3 feet long give or take.

I'm sure part of this was preference of the user as well as ability to afford certain lengths, but did we generally see longer or shorter blades in different capacities? For instance, longer blades used by samurai while shorter blades were used by conscripts, or shorter blades used by recon parties and longer used by cavalry, or any other sort of differences?

All the variety really fascinates me.

Hi Rob,

Truthfully, I don't have an answer as I suspect there were a variety of factors at play.

A book that you might find interesting is Japanese spears: Polearms and their use in old Japan by Roald Knutsen. Available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Spears-Polearms-Their-Japan/dp/1901903567

Best,

John

Rob,  In reality there is more to it than length. If all you want to do is puncture someone, a short little head will do the job, making the hole that the top of the shaft can enter. In my experience many of these little short heads are of equilateral triangular section with little grooves on each face. The intermediate length heads, either isosceles triangular section or a flattened lozenge section, have quite sharp edges and would at least inhibit someone grabbing the head. My favourite yari is a simple little lozenge section blade about 5" long which is distinctly waisted, mounted on a shaft about 6 foot long with lacquered rayskin at the top. It is light and graceful but capable of doing a lot of damage.

I have only ever owned one really big blade, about 3 1/2 foot long in a shaft about 4 foot long, and that was isosceles section with a very deep fuller on the broadest side. In section most of the blade was like a piece of angle-iron with razor sharp edges and was clearly intended for cutting as well as stabbing.

I really love yari and have a ceiling with holes to prove it.

Ian Bottomley 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..