New (To Me) Style Of Spring Clip

Hi guys,

Just got in a Bizen Kiyomitsu katana (which will be for sale) with an interesting retaining clip mounted to the saya and habaki, something I've never seen before.  At one time there was a piece of spring steel riveted to the habaki (now mostly missing) which would have caught on the lip of the piece screwed to the saya.  Depressing the spring of the saya piece would depress the spring on the habaki and allow the blade to be drawn.  Best guess is that this was developed so older, family blades could go to war with their tsuka and tsuba and not necessitate punching spring clip holes through the fuchi, seppa, and tsuba.  Looks too factory made to be one of a kind; there must be others.  I haven't checked Fuller & Gregory or Dawson.  Is this shown in a book or have you seen this before?

Cheers,  Grey

post-20-0-57688900-1468697642_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-17752100-1468697660_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-95650300-1468697675_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm with you on that call Thibault.

My reasoning being that

A: The finish is a little too  "prototype".

B: The Habaki is a double style, which is almost cut through the outer section to accommodate the clip.

Very interesting nontheless.   :thumbsup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..