Interested But Not Shure?

oli4_182

Hi it's me again.
I've allready asked the forum something like this before.
Personally i think it's legit but as a novice i'm not 100% sure.
But i would really know you guys opinion on this one!
So what do you think, is it an antique nihonto or just another fake or not so old sword?

It has some wear and tear, but i don't really mind becuase the estimationprice is around €750/$835.
It's another sword on an auctionsite that i'm interested in, here are some pictures:

Schermafbeelding%202016-07-16%20om%2016.

I can give more pics if needed.
Thanks and many regards!!! :D

Hi Olivier, im sure that you would regret buying this sooner or later. Especially when you see whats around for same price range. Save a little more and you could get something nice while learning what you can along the way.

Greg

• Like 1

Olivier,  Listen to the guys here on the board,  As a beginner myself, they have kept me on a path to better swords that I am proud of and are good bets.  Trust me I understand the temptation, but as I have learned in a little while, there is always another sword around the corner.  Darius

• Like 2

Hi Oli,

That's definitely a keeper: with a hole in it that big you'll be stuck with it.

Please take the advice offered there are far better swords available for only a little more money (and sometimes for less!). Keep an eye on the sales section on NMB or even put a request in the wanted section setting out what you are looking for. You'll do far better.

Best,

John

I'm no polisher but it seems to me that such an opening in the hada is progressive and cannot be repaired. The next togi will open it even more, to the point you'll see the shingane underneath. I don't know where this blade comes from but i suspect is another "gift" from the Japanese to the western markets. I'm quite experienced on this subject and i've  seen many Japanese blades refused on the Japanese market only to be sold in Europe, U.S. etc. Japanese collectors would never buy this kind of blade and since in the past few years the passion for nihonto has increased in the west they tend to send this kind of blades here. The price might be appealing but there's no use in buying something thet is ruined. If, as you say, you are a novice in search for a nihonto to study, i suggest you to collect little more money and invest in a better sword. There are many good blades out there, Muromachi age mumei wakizashi of Bizen school for example, you can find in good conditions that are perfect for study purposes.

Regards,

Emiliano

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..