What Is This Kyo Gunto Blade?

ggil

Bought it from the site Hamfish mentioned. Thanks though, Stephen San, and everyone. And yes (I see your new footer), the military did strange things to us: I for one have tendency to go all out anal retentive if I see laundry piling up. At my house, this means I'm pretty much certifiable all the time. My wife truly has better things to do in her mind. She is quite a lady though!

Police liutenant's sword according to THE book. Thanks Hamfish! This sun emblem is found on police superintendant's (highest level police position listed) and also lieutenants swords, while the 1/2 decorated backstrap in this particular style of 3 blossoms/vines/leaves indicates lieutenant grade. It seems that Jim Dawson getting access to translated copy of the 1906 Japanese military regulations (complete with strict specification drawings of exactly what the guards and handles should look like) was a breakthrough for helping us figure out what military/imperial swords we have. Of course all spec drawings are really nicely reproduced in Dawson's book. My backstrap matches the drawing well. Of the police blades pictured in his book, many have plated brass guards while mine is nicer copper with a decently heavy (as in roll plated maybe) gold plate. I am almost positive that Mr. Dawson would have loved to see/photo my blade given the chance.

Was only able to show it to Bob Benson and Grey Doffin, because we had a meltdown going on at home. Grey seemed to like it and Mr. Benson said to get pictures to Jim Dawson, and don't sell it. He would not say that he thought it handmade however, because the temper line is so questionable (I think). But he did state a couple times how well made it is. There will be next year my friends! I spent only 30 minutes at the show: just enough time to drop off some really good wine to some friends and leave pretty much. Pretty amazing all the excellent examples and inexpensive mumei items that seemed high quality for the prices too!

John Twienham (please help me w his last name) said the suguha was jumping right out of the thing, btw. He also stated he got himself into trouble so doesn't (maybe isn't allowed to???) post anymore. I said that was too bad, with sadness. He is a passionate character for sure, and comes bearing advice lubrication, if you understand.

Hi Grant,

here is a simular army Kyu gunto to your, the blade is very simular, some areas  have some hada but im sure the hamon is acid etched on steal. this is not a dress sword either as the blade will cut paper. there  is limited information on a early experimental  duel purpose sword that was designed to be a dress and combat sword. but iv lost the link.

maybe from the same company, who knows. just a tickler to keep you interested, very oddly the applied mon is a 10 petal umi plossum and there are no sukura. they are all umi.

post-571-0-47558000-1471301361_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-79660900-1471301372_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-12161000-1471301385_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-31702300-1471301406_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-89851600-1471301413_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-13338400-1471301427_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-93930200-1471301436_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-42439300-1471301459_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like the habaki and gold plated scabbard lock latch! Thanks Hamfish, for sharing. Not as much tapering as my blade. Much better foundation/hi control. Maybe a better design too, imo. I wish the guard was better pictured. You give a man an inch... You know...????

Thanks again! Nice guard, but I think the carving on the upper part is better on mine (but other aspects of the guard are better on yours to be sure). Don't tell me this is one from the group you recently sold? This one is very nice!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..