Armor Exibit In Japan

estcrh

Here are some images from a small armor display that took place in Japan, 2015. As far as I know there is not a Japanese armor forum in Japan. From what I have been told, Japanese collectors are reluctant to post images of the items they own online. Small groups meet and discuss their armor items in person, exhibits often prohibit photography so this view of a small local exhibit is unusual. Nothing fancy, just a few very nice armors and related samurai items. Something I noticed, the armors are displayed with muchi (whips) instead of the usual saihai etc. This shows what you can do in a small space with limited recources.

相馬市の旧奥州中村藩馬陵城大手門を出陣される

総大将を擁した相馬野馬追の御行列も通る

相馬市田町の商店街にある広文堂書店2階ギャラリーで

7/26(日)まで、相馬野馬追特別展

「武士(もののふ)の備え」が開催されています。

Translation:Soma Art Club will host the 2015 Soma field Umaoi special exhibition with the samurai (Mononofu) until 2015/7/26 (Sun), is held in Soma Hirofumido bookstore second floor gallery.

Address: Soma City, Fukushima Prefecture Nakamura Tamachi 52 ( map here )

Admission: 500 yen (high school or less free)

39b65ba7a9d8eb7e85ccfdb487fb4ef6.jpg

5c053da68f69c979fc84a5294f464f6b.jpg

419439f3a39e95a4e48e2e3cb6855dad.jpg

c789d9b334ff2c7dd7befedcbceedf58.jpg

b54a69a6245e2134aadfa58216ae8127.jpg

660dabb7534e7e7c5720f51e51167298.jpg

5eee373e7a3ce4c8d8efa1de6b13976d.jpg

• Like 4

Dave, this kabuto has very well executed koboshi, approximately +30 per ken. 3 Rows on the front plate. This quality and no Saotome can only be Nagamishi. The style of the fukurin and shikoro confirm this.

Thie is one of the very best edo smiths.

• Like 3

I have a very similar ko boshi kabuto with roped fukurin that is also in shakudo. Nagamichi is a bit of an enigma as nothing really is known about him other than he is thought to be early Edo period which rules him out of being connected to Kaga who were exclusively Haruta smiths until quite late on. It is probably a recycled helmet bowl incorporated into a later Kaga armour. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..