Recent Purchase With Bad Feeling - Help Please

Hello,

I recently purchased this sword and I knew I was taking a chance on it. I also purchased two more swords from the same man which I am confident are correct. I will post pictures of those for your expert opinions later.

Any thoughts or information on this item would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Best,

Rob

IMG_3719_zpslhnyqtup.jpg

IMG_3720_zpsgctjryf3.jpg

IMG_3721_zpse7nloh3k.jpg

IMG_3722_zpsycyu1pth.jpg

IMG_3723_zpskpglgijb.jpg

IMG_3724_zpsp9x1iiod.jpg

IMG_3726_zps4gx6gw8a.jpg

IMG_3727_zps1ldnhvv1.jpg

IMG_3728_zpsov2dfimc.jpg

IMG_3729_zpsod88kqft.jpg

It has every feature you would look for on a fake. Just about every one.

Serial on the habaki - check

Damascus-like fake layering/hada - check

Bad kissaki at the wrong angle - check

Completely wrong shoestring handle wrap - check

Skew lines through nakago - check

Pointy artificial nakago jiri - check

Badly cut kanji that mean nothing - check

No hamon - check

No hataraki - check

Back to the studying for you Rob. Take this in the educational and friendly manner in which it is intended. Hopefully the other 2 are real.

• Like 3

And better than some more seasoned collectors.

Ha.. Don't let my 21 post here fool you.. I'm just not a Japanese sword expert.

Basically I was buying another item from the man in addition to the other Japanese swords. He wouldn't come down on the price of the other item so I got him to throw this sword in the deal.

• Like 1

Ha.. Don't let my 21 post here fool you.. I'm just not a Japanese sword expert.

Basically I was buying another item from the man in addition to the other Japanese swords. He wouldn't come down on the price of the other item so I got him to throw this sword in the deal.

I had a similar experience just yesterday, I was participating in an auction online, some very nice Indo-Persian swords but they were being sold in groups of two or three with the swords I wanted being mixed in with unknown (to me) European swords. So to bid on the sword I wanted you had to also blindly buy one or two swords I knew nothing about, very frustrating for me but a good way for the auction house to unload some less than desirable swords I guess.

This one came from a 94 year old WW2 vet...German Paratrooper. He has quite a collection of stuff that he has picked up since moving to the US many years ago. He suspected that it was not right and I was pretty sure it wasn't. I did get two others from him that are legit so all is good. He has several more in the wood storage scabbards. I probably should have grabbed one of those instead.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..