Wartime Souvenir

Aloof Pegasus

Hi Everybody

After lurking on this site for a couple of enjoyable weeks I'd like to introduce myself and my katana.

My pa brought this katana back from S'pore in '45. Last week I dismantled the shin gunto mounts and found it dated (apparently) to Aug 1863 and signed Muneaki, who is listed as chu-jo saku in this board's swordsmith db.

The plan is to refit it with an Owari tsuba (one pictured on this forum in Sept courtesy Ed Marshall as an example of Matsukawabishi design). Suitable fuchi/koshira/menuki. Then new handle/wrapping and saya. (The original saya split as it turns out because the blade sori is less acute)

I have a beginner's question which I hope s'one can kindly help me with and I apologise if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

There are a couple of +/-2mm chips in the cutting edge. Shud I get them polished out or wud it reduce the width of the blade too badly? Are they intrinsic to the blade's history and better left alone?

Commercial considerations don't apply, I wud never dream of selling, nor for that matter using for cutting practise.

Sorry for such a long first post- and the pic quality.

Philip

post-612-14196742986936_thumb.jpg

post-612-14196742987815_thumb.jpg

post-612-1419674298886_thumb.jpg

post-612-14196742989434_thumb.jpg

Hello Phillip, I like the blade.

The nakago looks clean, is it clean or is it just my eyes? (When I saw it, I thought stainless steel gunto, but then I read it was dated 1863..)

Phillip, it is up to you whether or not you want to polish out those nicks. If you want the blade to be as it was, straight out of the war, then I wouldn't polish them out. I guess they are part of the blades history, whether this blade was carried on the battlefield, or used to cut weeds (If it was used to cut weeds, I would polish them out :D ). I have seen bigger nicks polished out.

Either way, 1863 is a fine date, enjoy your blade.

:)

Welcome to the board Jimmy,

Muneaki was the student of Koyama Munetsugu who was a very important shin-shinto smith. Both forged blades in the Bizen tradition and many consider Munetsugu the finest Bizen smith during that period. He was very good at forging blades in the Ichimonji Bizen style. Muneaki was considered a good smith but not to Munestugu's level.

Unfortunately, as Joe pointed out, the nakago (tang) looks like it was cleaned. That's not a good thing. I would contact a trained polisher to asses the blade. If the mei is real it is worth polishing. Without looking at oshigata the nakago jiri doesn't look typical of this school.

Whether or not the chips came from WW2 use, they should and will be polished out if given to a traditional polisher. They are not important to the blade's history and are considered a flaw. There's links to polishers on this site, I suggest contacting them.

Good luck,

mike

Thanks Jo, Mike, Jacques for that info and opinion. Unfortunately I am responsible for the nakago cleaning. Done unknowingly.

Once a sword was completed wud it's mounts have been to suit ie: Bizen sword Bizen tsuba etc or no hard and fast?

Couple more pics in lieu and until I can do an oshigata.

Philip

post-612-14196742992899_thumb.jpg

post-612-14196742993644_thumb.jpg

I was afraid to hear that. :cry:

Anyways, like you said, you will not be selling this blade. Though, it is not mainly the worth, but the respect for the blade itself that you are preserving when you allow the nakago to rust.

I read somewhere that it is possible to put the rust back onto the nakago, or something like that. (I have no clue whether it is true or not, or how it is done.) Though, it also said that it costs a lot of money.

As for what to do next, you would have to ask someone else here with more experience. At least the mei has the original date.

Hello Jacques

Have you seen Muneaki's signature elsewhere? The 'aki' character is badly distorted owing to blackened rust. I thought 'Mune' seemed full of self confidence not to say joie de vivre! A forger's exuberance?

Is it impossible for a smith in the Bizen school to have finished the nakago in Haagari rather than Iriyamagata? Or Kira rather than Kira Sujikai? Or it indicates a lesser smith/student of Muneaki. Or it's just some sword and they've stuck a name on it?

What about the date in relation to your doubts?

In some references to Muneaki he is listed as working in Ansei rather than Bun Kyo. The Fujishiro lists him as the later period. Is he the kind of smith forgers like?

The blade is 68cms.

When you say tagane mannerisms are you talking about the nakago being funagata?

Thanks any help

Philip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For all those kind enough to post replies on this thread, it's a pleasure for me to add this short update.

In May-ish 2008 Louis Skebo agreed to polish the sword and repatinate the nakago. Btw he agreed with Jacques assessement of the Muneaki mei as gimei. I don't want or plan to remove it however.

Since then it has been straightened, all the chips taken out and the foundation polish done. John Tirado is making the new habaki and shira-saya.

Insha'Allah ETA is 2 more months when it'll be my further pleasure to collect it 'n post some pics as a kind of inaugoration for the next stage of the swords life.

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that's the katana I'm talking about. It was done before I got it, but I meet John before this to discuss another project. He is a great guy, he took the morning for me to go to his shop and talk about nihonto. When you get it back I would love to see some pics.

• 2 weeks later...
photos guaranteed, Waynes. With pleasure.

btw I had thought to assemble some suitable (?) koshirae for the sword. Now not so sure. Shira saya seems better somehow, what do you think? Any plans to mount yours? Expense aside it really needs a lot of knowledge as well, would you say?

Philip

Hi Guys, the blade is at the scabbard makers, it is a stunning blade now and will certainly be an eye catcher when it is done. I'll take some good pictures when the finishing touches have been tended to. The large chips came out with no problems, although a few pits will be staying in the kissaki area - will be easily overlooked.

Regards.

Louis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..