Fake Type 95 Nco Swords

Shamsy

On 1/12/2024 at 2:14 AM, TimJ said:

418737327_7085467268181563_3146918141629530316_n.jpg

418738288_7085467301514893_3996443322384237182_n.jpg

418734904_7085467111514912_2552215178418382630_n.jpg

You alway need to look at the sword as a whole.

I've posted comparison pictures of bohi before, maybe in this thread or elsewhere, not sure. They vary considerably, even with the same manufacturer. Iijima is a great example of lack of consistency between swords during production. Some bohi are lovely and defined, others the 'grinder' style with less defined terminations at either end. Neither means much on their own.

As pointed out, the same is not dimpled as often seen on fakes. It can be quite flat though and that's fine.

The fuchi stamps look correct, clear and defined.

Handle lacks paint, but that's a potential warning sign, not proof of being fake.

Saya paint is weird, but there are a variety of shades used. Can't see under the cover but the wear and patina would be the better indicator than shade (pretty sure there are no other photos, right?). Agree cover is probably just something added later.

I don't see anything else that's a glaring issue, so I'll add a little detail that's a positive sign. Have a gander through this thread (it's a long one I know). Fakes very rarely get serial number details right - matching the font in style, space and size. The 7 in this example has the characteristic 'kick' at the very start of the horizontal stroke. That little down line. The size and positioning of the numbers are spot on. For all 95s, as well as the 7, other good numbers to look at are the 4 and 1 in serial numbers. Check some real examples from the same manufacturer and compare (but always bear in mind the possibility of exceptions).

Another little detail I like is the shallow stamp. Gifu seem to have liked adding  the Nagoya stamp after heat treating blades. 

Last little positive detail, the kissaki is defined. Fakes often have a smooth termination without definition. 

Here are some of my Gifu to compare. Not the best pictures, but all have the Nagoya stamp after the numbers, shallow and hard to see as they are post heat treating. The same in most are pretty flat too. See what you think. I'm not providing an answer, only what I observe.

It's important to form your own opinions. I've seen a few unsubstantiated claims about Japanese military swords including 95s, touted as fact, so please be critical and always state when something is an opinion or hypothesis. We don't need another Type 44-Type 0-SNLF debacle, crew gusto assumption based on nothing or 'paratrooper sword' nonsense that people then take as gospel.

I only popped in to offer some assistance to someone asking so had a quick look around. I'll catch you all again some time!

P.S. If you ever come to Australia, Bruce, make sure you visit! Open invitation. 

20240305_160316.jpg

20240305_160329.jpg

20240305_160339.jpg

20240305_160344.jpg

20240305_160348.jpg

20240305_160353.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Asking advice on this one, sent to me by a friend here, asking if it's ok.
Some parts look ok, but I'm concerned about a few things too. Hi looks wide. I've asked for pics of the stamps, serial and both sides of the habaki.
Can you say anything based on these pics so far?

3653_n.jpg

3654_n.jpg

3655_n.jpg

3656_n.jpg

3657_n.jpg

3658_n.jpg

3659_n.jpg

3660_n.jpg

3661_n.jpg

3662_n.jpg

The tsuba is a little concerning. The middle should be flat and not peaked like that; corners seem too sharp as well. But maybe it's a variation I haven't seen before.

John C.

• Like 2

Brian I appreciate that you don't have better pics available yet and as you know that always makes it difficult.

For what MO is worth, based on what can be seen so far .....

1. something not right with that tsuka ......see picture attached ..lack of detail on kabutogane  .....looks like badly cast copy.

2. as you point out, that bohi is really bad, too thick and starts and ends poorly.

3. the saya throat looks unusually 'heavy' and lacking basic shape for an early 95 ... pic of one of mine attached for reference?

Look forward to seeing pics of blade number/stamps and also saya throat.  That could change my initial opinion (but unlikely)

If your friend hasn't purchased it yet, I would definitely hold off until all relevant pictures produced.

Rob

Screenshot_20240307_103004_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20240307_100223_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20240307_101057_Photo Editor.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Brian,

100% fake….Very crude moulding to the tsuka,the detail is awful especially the wobbly join line plus the securing screw and sarute fitting is modern brass by the look…that bohi is also dreadful…..One for the scrap pile I’m afraid….

Best Regards,

Paul

As I suspected, which is why I sought confirmation here.

Don't suppose he'll believe me, but it is what it is. I wonder the origin considering it is well aged.

The mekugi screw is standard for the Chinese fakes, as is the tsuka that has clearly never seen a layer of paint.  The tsuka looks just like the ones shown by Trystan, @BANGBANGSAN, in a recent photo from a Chinese factory.  It had an overflowing box of these tsuka.  Wish I could find that photo, so I could file it.

I don't know how they age the saya so well, but they've figured out how to do it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I came across this thread and wanted to join and ask a question.  A sword came into my position some years ago and I’m looking to sell it.  Not sure if it’s real or fake and having a hard time figuring it out.  I don’t want to overcharge someone but I also don’t want to sell it too cheap.   It’s in a frame so it’s difficult to see all the details.  There appears to be serial numbers on it.   Any thoughts, tips, or advice?

IMG_0268.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0273.jpeg