Fake Type 95 Nco Swords

Shamsy

Told him the same, offered him $1000 if I'm wrong. Pointed him to this forum and section.
He also wants proof it's not real. Frankly, the person buying it will eventually come here, and likely have a good fraud case since the seller ignored multiple expert opinions and continued to state it is real. Wonder if that's considered mail fraud? Hmmm

• Like 3

Hello, I’ll admit to being ignorant when it comes to Type 95s and bought that one on eBay the other day. I’ve collected Arisakas and Nambus for a while and really wanted a Type 95 for my collection. I did my best trying to compare that one to other online with the help of some websites but it appears I didn’t do enough research. This one appeared good to me, what exactly makes this one stand out as a reproduction? Any suggestions as to what I should say to the seller when it arrives so I can try and get my money back would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Fry3008 said:

This one appeared good to me, what exactly makes this one stand out as a reproduction? 

I'm assuming you are talking about the fake Rob posted that sold for $900?

The extremely poor quality is the main thing that shouldstand out. Even the worst 95 in the latest pattern is leagues above the quality of this one. Now, into specifics. Handle is incorrect wrap design were you to pretend it was a copper, but it's actually brass which was never used. Bohi is horrible, thin and incorrectly located at termination points. Stamps wrong and hideously ugly and deep on a cheap fuchi. Saya ring located too low to the throat. Total lack of patina but obvious signs of falsified age. Incorrect paint colours. Latch design is different and really flat and flimsy looking, wrong shape too sharp tsuba, tsuka screw is incorrect material and design, seppa will be wrong and missing details. Serial number font and spacing incorrect. Sarute incorrect length and shape, kissaki is a a sharp chisel point instead of rounded.

There is basically nothing right. This is only just better than the worst Chinese fakes, though it is assuredly Chinese in origin.

I'm not trying to be rude, we all started somewhere. I remember when I couldn't be sure either. Luckily my first swords were from a reputable dealer. I overpaid for the prices at the time, but it paid off in the long run. Good luck getting the money back and I would insist on postage being paid by the seller both ways. eBay may support you on that seeing as you were sold a fake sword, promised to be original.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep Hunter...exactly what Sham said....if you paid by Paypal you may also have a chance of money back through that avenue.

The seller was contacted and 'enlightened' by more than one member, way prior to any final bids being made....dont be too hard on yourself (but dont fall for it again either) ... the seller is culpable.

Below is copied from the Paypal Australia site.......dont let the bast"/^d get away with it.

Good luck.

Shop with confidence.

If your order is significantly different to the seller’s description or doesn’t arrive, you have 180 days to file a dispute. It could be that the event you bought a ticket for was cancelled, you didn’t receive everything you bought, or the item was defective, damaged or counterfeit. We can protect you for the full purchase price plus shipping costs, up to $20,000 per item.

To help protect your purchase, make sure you:

• Pay with PayPal
  • Keep your account in good standing (so don’t dispute everything!)
  • Like 1

It's been heartening to see members here concerned about the sale of fake 95s to new collectors who don't have the knowledge or experience to differentiate real from fake. While I am sure it is a waste of time and eBay would rather make their cut, these are the categories to use to report fake swords. Just be very careful in making reports. Do this only for swords you are absolutely, one hundred percent certain are fake.

Screenshot_20220507-100810_eBay.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the information. I was able to get a refund for the fake sword. The seller sent a long apology and sent me pictures of another Type 95 asking if I was interested but this one doesn’t look right either, especially the painted scabbard. 

5C07D29F-23DB-43BE-B339-684F8DA415F3.jpeg

2FDFA0AC-A687-4557-9EAE-8B4151FE3EE4.jpeg

A125A08B-1AB0-426B-A675-B719A3BF96D1.jpeg

@Shamsy @Stegel may correct me, but this one is legit!  I would even love to see if the paint is war-era or new.  It has both the gold and red colors that seem to have significance.  We are starting to believe that some of these painted gunto were done by the soldiers themselves.  An interesting piece.

• Like 1

Completely legitimate. I would look for a nicer example though, unless you want one which was repainted at some time for some reason (we can guess, but have no idea really). A great example is not hard to find, there have been a few listed recently.

• Like 1

Hey guys. I found this one on a local listing in Europe. What do you guys think? Genuine or fake? The seller of course says it's genuine however the numbers on the sword and scabbard aren't matching so maybe real sword, fake scabbard?

Images aren't any sharper unfortunately. 

$_86.jpg

$_86 (7).jpg

$_86 (8).jpg

$_86 (6).jpg

$_86 (5).jpg

$_86 (4).jpg

$_86 (3).jpg

$_86 (2).jpg

$_86 (1).jpg

4 minutes ago, Shamsy said:

Completely legitimate. Unmatched numbers are a detractor though. On the plus side, you get the extra stamp on the reverse side of the fuchi.

Nice. Thank you. What would be an acceptable price for the sword in this condition? The seller has posted a minimum of a €1000. I guess we should also keep in mind that in Europe these swords are maybe not as common as in the states or indeed Australia. Also with the mismatched numbers and all. 

IMO - that’s too much money to pay for a mismatch ( in the states ) , I’m not sure that the European market holds for NCOs, but I acknowledge that militaria prices generally run higher in Europe ., based on other items I track.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zook said:

IMO - that’s too much money to pay for a mismatch ( in the states ) , I’m not sure that the European market holds for NCOs, but I acknowledge that militaria prices generally run higher in Europe ., based on other items I track.

What would you pay in the states for something like this. 6 or $700 ish?

Currently €1000 = US$1041  , which makes me agree with zook, a bit on the high side for mismatched sword.

If it was matching, it would be around the average going price at the moment in my opinion.

Of course your market in Europe tends to be higher, but  you could always make an offer   €900  perhaps?

• Like 1

B. Its a nice example but agree 1000 euros is too high.

The pics are not great, but does anyone else think the saya could be a repaint?  If so, the price must come down.

Things to think about......

1. The previous version (brass tsuba) is, imo, a nicer collectors item if your going to get only one 95.

2. Will you be happy with unmatched numbers?  The more u get into this, the more choosy you become....so consider saving your money on this sword and wait for a reasonable and matched Type 95 (regardless of version).

3. Again, I agree 1000 euros is just way too much and the saya may be genuine but if its a repaint (????)  its worth less.  

I think your estimate of US 600 to 700 (or equivalent) would be at the top end of market price for this sword in Australia.

Rob

To reply to some of your points @robinalexander.

I'm afraid in the European market I can't be too picky about what I want. Indeed a brass handle, matching numbers and all would be nice however those don't pop up frequently here. Also if they do the price will be significantly higher I'd Imagine. I'm a novice when it comes to swords and I don't own any yet at the moment so I'm not looking to spend 1500-3000 now. 

I do also suspect the saya to be a repaint. I understand the large majority of them are quite scuffed and scratched up which is part of the patina. Seeing one this nice and green does raise an eyebrow. 

I think I'll do a bid on this of €750 with the argument of the mismatched numbers and possible saya repaint. Hopefully the seller will take me seriously. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...