Who Is Who?

A German museum asked me to help identifying the people in the attached photo. It was taken on the occasion of presenting a sword to the German ambassador Herbert von Dirksen (photo # 2, far left) on behalf of Hitler.

It seems to be a different one from the Kasama Ikkansai Shigetsugu that is well known, but I know next to nothing about gendai smiths, and hope one of you guys can help out. Unfortunately I wasn’t provided with a rubbing or photo of the nakago.

post-12-0-49280400-1466423323_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-39435100-1466423351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That reminds me of a do-maru gusoku handed over to H. Dirksen once ( recently sold at an auction in France). Sorry for being off topic....

Uwe,

Do you have a pic of the armour? Rather than lead this thread off-track, perhaps you can create a thread in Katchu about this...

John

Guido,

Do you know the year of the photograph?

I have an Ikkansai Shigemasa (Sakai Hiroshi) O-tanto and in the process of researching it, looked up a few photos of him from his Yasukuni days.

In doing so, I believe I recognize some other faces. Nothing certain.

From July 1935 and December 1936 comparison photos vs. your photo:

Person 1:   Holding sword-    no idea yet. Still looking.

He has some distinct features that would allow him to be recognized if I had better photos. Was hoping to recognize him from the Dec 1936 "Bye-bye Yasuhiro and Hiroshi" party photo.

Person 2:   Page 95 bottom photo of Yasukuni book. 2nd row. Listed as "name Unknown".

Person 3:   Page 95 bottom photo of Yasukuni book. I considered Yamaoka Juko per Chris's comment, as he is also in the second row. To me, the resemblance with Koizumi Shinji in the middle or row 1 is much stronger. Other photos support this opinion.

Person 4:   [No idea, but a dead ringer to my sophomore roommate. A 3rd or 4th generation Zaibatsu-Chaebol fellow educated in Swiss private schools. His grandpa? Small world then.]

Person 5:   No idea. I believe he and No. 7 are in a November 1935 photo, but both are skipped in the list of names.

Person 6:   Miyaguchi Yasuhiro. [my opinion. strong resemblance in several photos, but he's wearing a hat and looking directly at camera in the photos]

Person 7:   No idea. See No. 5

Just opinions. Not 100% certain on any of them, though No. 2, 3, 6 all look to me to be in the July 1935 photo.

With a better copy of the photo, might be able to single out a few others.

Good luck.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and detective work – especially Morita-san: you truly have eagle eyes, Sir! The only kanji I was able to read were 御太刀. I also think that you are spot on with Watanabe Kanenaga.

Again, thanks to all who took the time and effort of trying to identify the people in the photo.

Guido et al,

Some time ago I asked if anyone had seen a Kazunori gendaito.  In the course of research on Kazunori I found reference to a sword made in 1936 as a presentation to one Yuzawa Michio (so inscribed).  At that time he was appointed Vice Minister of the Home Ministry.  Before that in 1931 he became Director of the Public Works Bureau, and Governor of Hiroshima Prefecture. In 1935, he was appointed Governor of Hyōgo Prefecture.  He was at one time Vice President of the National Olympic Committee of Japan and possibly had a role in organising the XIIth Oympiad in Tokyo, 1940.  I found a photo of him in this document http://library.la84.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1940/OR1940.pdf   (207 pages) on page 16.

I'm aware its a long shot, but if Yuzawa Michio as a high official had a sword presented to him in 1936 he might also have been associated with swordsmiths.  Possibly others in the photos were also associated with swordsmiths.  I've attached the document with my meagre findings.

Best regards,

BaZZa.

Links to photos of Japanese Ministers.doc

• Like 1

Hi,
I just got this pic today.

The swordsmith in this picture is Watanabe Kanenaga at Japanese sword making school(Nihonto tanren denshujo/Nihinto tanren juku) in Seki(maybe around 1938).
At that time,he was a most respected sword smith in Seki.
This picture will appear on Mr.Ohmura's  Website later,because i sent this pic to Mr.Ohmura today.

post-137-0-65911800-1467020453_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..