Mori Shu-Sui Museum

It's still under construction.

The collection is 800 or so swords. 90 of them are Juyo Token, 17 are Tokubetsu Juyo and there are some Juyo Bunkazai. 

So it will be more than worthwhile for any visitor. 

Here's your kantei blade:

img_gal_08l.jpg

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

How do you spell bubble in Japanese?

I am trying to make the point that a huge collections of great swords in provincial museums are not likely to enhance long term survival of sword appreciation . Duming these large bodies of top grade swords would have to drive prices down. But putting them on display this way is not likely to seriously help the next generation of experts and enthusiasts. I certainly hope this Musuem has a active education and outreach program.

Peter

These museums are being endowed specifically to take care of swords. The guy with 11,000 swords has five full time employees caring for the sword collection. That will be a museum one day as well for him. 

There will not be any dumping because these institutions will be permanently endowed and both of these characters see it as doing their duty to protect these swords permanently and past their lifetimes. 

For a standard museum who will never display their swords or oil them, it obviously helps nobody. Not the sword or an individual or everyone collectively. A museum though that will exhibit and care for their pieces helps everyone. That you can go see David or the Mona Lisa is a wonderful thing. Swords are no different. It's just that a normal museum is not the right home for them because they will give priorities to other things and that puts the sword at risk.

Being able to go see these things even through glass is one of the major steps in sword education that a collector can make. 

• Like 3

Think of the wonderful display at the New York Metropolitan Museum a few years ago. People traveled from far and wide to see that exhibit and to hear the talk on nihonto. Amazing amazing stuff indeed. The PDF of their publication on the exhibit is available - posted in another thread. 

• Like 2

Think of the wonderful display at the New York Metropolitan Museum a few years ago. People traveled from far and wide to see that exhibit and to hear the talk on nihonto. Amazing amazing stuff indeed. The PDF of their publication on the exhibit is available - posted in another thread. 

It was a great exhibit. I had seen Kiyomaro a few times before that exhibit. And Kotetsu. I always left thinking ho-hum. Then I saw what was exhibited there... and I went, Ohhhhhhh nowwwww I get it. 

• Like 1

It is a Den Masamune. You can find the Info on the Japanese Site. My Best Guess was Shizu.

Uwe G.

Well that takes the fun out of it for everyone else when you look it up. I had a good look at it in Japan.

It's Juyo Bunkazai.

I know, that it was unfair to give the right info away. But it was kind too easy, when you just need two or three clicks to get the right answer.

Sorry for that.

On the other hand: why is it DEN Masamune? What is the difference in the workmanship to a "usual" Masamune? Quality not, that´s for sure.

I hope, you can explain it.

Uwe G.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..