Tsuba Wall Diplay / Holder

Daso

Has anyone seen a furniture grade display frame that might hold 6 or 8 or more Tsuba in a manner that you could nicely display it hanging on wall  as art that you can appreciate all the time.  I've been looking but just don't see anything.  Cant be that hard to have made, but always easier to find one for sale.

Thanks,

Darius

Darius,

it is not the Japanese way to display swords and TSUBA on the wall. They are usually kept stored away in their KIRIBAKO and then in a TANSU, and are looked at and cared for from time to time. 

Rokujuro, I had anticipated that as a distinct possibility and would never want to disrespect the meaning and or idea of the Tsuba or sword and as long as I am not committing something grossly disrespectful, then I personally take pleasure from looking at the art that I have.  Many of the collectors I know (not of Japanese arms) proudly present their pieces in one of their rooms so that they can be enjoyed. I realize that I am of the Western way on this matter but I guess that is how I enjoy and the return that I want of my investing in these items.

I use these:

http://www.meadowsdisplaycases.com/displaycaseprice.htm#wood

I use the ones made out of oak, and put kimono fabric behind the tsuba.  Mike

I use these:

http://www.meadowsdisplaycases.com/displaycaseprice.htm#wood

I use the ones made out of oak, and put kimono fabric behind the tsuba.  Mike

Sohei,

Nice Idea and it give you choices on quality.

Hi Darius,

maybe this answers your question?!

post-3569-0-58583700-1465000005_thumb.jpg

The frame is a very simple black steel frame with multiple picture passepartout behind glass! First you have to remove the back board, lay down the passepartout and your tsuba into possition. Then cut out the correct form (just a little smaller!) of the nakago ana from any 3mm material that you can find (thin wood, plastics, ... ) and glue this nakago ana holder at the correct possition. Then take a nice cotton as background material and upholster the back board. Now you can fix your tsuba onto the back board and refit the frame, the glass will hold your tsuba in possition! A cheap and easy but very effective solution, that works for my collection since years and does not harm the tsuba (just don´t hang that display at any outside wall because of condensation!) :)

I hope, that was a bit helpful?!

Best,

Tom

Hi Darius,

maybe this answers your question?!

attachicon.gifIMG_2262.JPG

The frame is a very simple black steel frame with multiple picture passepartout behind glass! First you have to remove the back board, lay down the passepartout and your tsuba into possition. Then cut out the correct form (just a little smaller!) of the nakago ana from any 3mm material that you can find (thin wood, plastics, ... ) and glue this nakago ana holder at the correct possition. Then take a nice cotton as background material and upholster the back board. Now you can fix your tsuba onto the back board and refit the frame, the glass will hold your tsuba in possition! A cheap and easy but very effective solution, that works for my collection since years and does not harm the tsuba (just don´t hang that display at any outside wall because of condensation!) :)

I hope, that was a bit helpful?!

Best,

Tom

Amazingly helpful and right in line with what I was thinking.  Thanks I was going to do a dark walnut  or oak like my living room furniture but frame gets pricey. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Darius

The dilemma of display as opposed to storage is interesting. I have some display boards that hold just so many Tsuba,  this allows me to rotate every so often with others that are in storage. I find I get the best of both words this way. I was very impressed with the Torii display case I found online awhile back, the other is one I made myself. I used brass pins so as not to scratch the tsuba. Maybe you can get some ideas from these pictures sorry they are not hi-res.

Dale

post-3736-0-67522600-1467258071_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-68684800-1467258074_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dale

I like your frame, the metal fittings are a nice touch on the corners. Can't say the appropriation of a sacred Shinto "gateway' as a picture frame is appropriate in my opinion. Then again, our local garden centre sells plastic Buddhas as garden ornaments :dunno:

• Like 1

Ford

The Shinto is not my ideal either, just showing variety of designs. I have seen many Tsuba with depictions of the Torii gate, so I guess the maker in this case thought it was ok, but you are probably right, Westeners would not like Christian style Tsuba, displayed nailed to a wooden cross . :doubt:   

Dale

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..