My First Katana With Guidance From All Of You

Daso

Now, I know I could have studied longer, but I decided to purchase my first Katana with the advice of a few of you on the board and some outside help for my birthday gift to myself.  It is a beautiful Katana (In my eyes). It is in flawless condition and papered. Mumei Kiyomitsu. It is not fancy, it might be a mass produced blade, but it is nevertheless a simple, strong meaty blade with no flaws that is a pleasure to stare at and I anticipate to now spend more time reading with my sword at hand (or cautiously nearby) until the day comes that I learn what my next sword will be.  Some photo's (not the greatest, sorry).  Thanks for all your help and I'm happy to be part of the community.  Many of you have been astoundingly helpful.

post-3622-0-54859500-1464371489_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-44497900-1464371551_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-91877200-1464371571_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-49949700-1464371606_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-89206500-1464371660_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

well done Darius it is head and shoulders above most first swords we see (certainly better than where I started) take some time to get to know it well and then come back and tell us what you see.

congratulations

Thanks All, at this point in my career (Nihonto career that is), I find it hard to want too much more from a sword at this particular time (Wakizashi next).  I have always been attracted to simpler Hamons with very clean lines and based on it's estimated age wonder how many polishes it could have had while maintaining such heft and health.  I guess I'll learn.  Comments and questions to come.  All your help has been amazing. Waiting for my Tsuba to arrive  to present alongside it.

Darius

The really important thing is that you know what you got. And what the options are from here. As long as you understood that you made an informed buy. And that is almost everything about everything.

If it hadn't been for the guidance of some very helpful and knowledgeable people, I would have been less confident.  As  the papers don't attribute the sword to any particular kiyomitsu, does this automatically throw it into a mass produced or bundle blade category, or is it possibly the work of a better Kiyomistu unrushed per the needs of the time? or is this the quandry of many an unsigned et documented blade? (barring signs of poor workmanship, which I would anticipate would not allow it to receive Hozon papers?)

Not attributing it to an individual doesn't mean it is a mass produced blade. there were many smiths using the name and it just isn't possible to tie it down to a single man. From what can be seen in the images the shape hamon etc don't suggest low quality or mass produced work. It is suriage or even O-suriage so the lack of mei is understandable. The point is it appears to have been well looked after and cheirshed over many generations which should tell you something about the quality and respect previous custodians had for it.

enjoy

• Like 3

Not attributing it to an individaul doesnt mean it is a mass produced blade. there were many smiths usingthe name and it just isnt possible to tie it down to a single man. From what can be seen in the images the shape hamon etc dont suggest low quality or mass produced work. It is usriage or even O-suriage so the lack of mei is understandable. The point is it appears to have been well looked after and cheirshed over many generations which should tell you something about the quality and respect previous custodians had for it.

enjoy

Thank you for putting it in a perspective that will now be part of my thought process. A continally learning experience.

Congrats again Darius, great way to start a collection. See you at the next NY TK meeting, —GLL

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks appreciate it and look forward to our next one.  It was a very positive experience bringing in the new sword to the last meeting, I left feeliong good about my purchase.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..