Advice For Importing A Nihonto To Japan

I recently purchased a nihonto from a well established NMB member in the US and had it shipped to Japan where I live.

Have received a notice from Japan Customs do complete some paperwork to complete the delivery.

Do any members who also live here in Japan have any advice, anything I should know or be aware of?

My partner is Japanese so can assist with communication etc.

Thanks.

Regards,

Michael S

You can call on Tokyo Custom and the sword register office.

You can explain that the sword has arrived at Tokyo custom, you can make an appointment for inspection and register the sword.
If you are residence of Tokyo, you can bring your ID on the sword register day (Tokyo is 2nd Tuesday of every month) at Tokyo custom.
After the inspection of the item, the sword could be registered under your name and get issued Torokusho (6300JPY) and you can do custom declaration by yourself at the custom, and you can bring the sword back home with you same day.
I think that Tokyo custom must speak English, and Register office also should be able to...

Tokyo Custom : 03-3529-0700

Tokyo-to Kyouikuiinkai Bunkazai-Hogo-kakari
Juho-Token rui Toroku Jimu
Sword register department : 03-5320-6862
  • Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..