Mekugi Ana Mystery

zuiho

Hello,

This is a bit of a teaser. Can anyone figure out what is going on with the  mekugi-ana nearest  the habaki ? Image posted below.

i believe the blade is sue-koto. It is about 2 shaku in length with mild sori and mounted for use as a gunto.

Bill G

. post-268-0-00980300-1461638179_thumb.jpg

There was an article on the Usagiya website about a suriage blade that through re-working the mune and hasaki had reclaimed its original length. I had a quick look but I could not find it, Im sure with a bit of a search the article could be located. I suspect that is what may have occurred here with the blade you have presented resulting in the unusual placement of the mekugi ana.

Kam

• Like 1

Hi Grey, yes that would be reasonable to assume but then this isnt the first time I have seen this type of thing and I guess that would depend on the togishi and if that was within his skill set.

I understand your view Ed but patination and a number of other factors say no to a weld and the surface of the nakago should remain unchanged by human intervention unlike the blade which has seen many polishes. Therefore the surface of the nakago is now "softened" by age and will reflect light differently from the "crisp" lines of the polished blade surface.

Kam

• Like 1

hello,

I will add another photo. The Habaki will not slide off as the nakago is thicker than the blade to which the habaki fits. Pretty typical after repeated polishes of a well-used blade.

Also, I do not believe there is a weld as there is no transition seen in the metal that I can see. The hole in question could be the more recent of the two but the polish makes it hard to judge. I will tell you that there is a mizukage about 8 cm. up from the mune-machi. It was suggested to me  that this was once mounted as a naginata and without a habaki but have never heard of an  example.   Bill G.

.post-268-0-36146700-1461728939_thumb.jpg

Also, if the nakago corrodes after the habaki has been put in place it can become difficult to remove the habaki.  Iron expands as it rusts.  I'm still not 100% convinced there isn't a weld under the habaki; could we have a closeup of the area with the habaki pulled down as far as possible?

Grey

One thing to keep in mind here is that the munemachi may sit higher or lower in the habaki depending on how the habaki is made. I have seen a few where the munemachi was quite low, which would create more distance between the mekugi-ana and the habaki. The mekugi-ana is still implausably high up the nakago though, as others have said.

Best,

Ray

The other possibility is that the entire blade was larger and has been reshaped, in order to take out edge chips and damage to the mune perhaps.

From the angle shown, the habaki looks a little odd in shape, particularly where it meets the munemachi.

If that was so, would it suggest that the original habaki position (Not the habaki currently used ) was further down in a position normal for the position of the lower  mekugi ana. :dunno:

• Like 3

Bill G., with respect, you said it was a bit of a teaser....do you mean a mystery, or do you know the answer to your question? I do not have much to add to what has been said above, as all comments made have some merit; i would suggest that if you can have an x-ray done it may exclude some possibilities. The apparent shape in the photo of the mizukage would lend some support to the idea of a welded nakago in my opinion, which is not expert :)

Hi Steve (and everyone else)

Your comment about the Mizukage is relevant but usually is more to do with Yakiri. Most of the welded nakago I have seen usually have a misty look about 1 - 2inches from the hamachi and sometimes nothing obvious.

We can only speculate as it is one tiny photo with no other obvious visual clues. Based on what info is available I am still inclined to go with the idea of re-claimed length based on the small munemachi that is of similar size to the hamachi. The habaki is not an indicator as it may be "this will fit" replacement, either way it does not look right. The nakago does seem at an odd angle but without seeing the full sugata.. :dunno: If one was to weld a nakago then it would be a major over site to leave something so obvious as a misplaced ana raising suspicions and therefore a futile effort wasting time and skill. In regards to habaki being stuck this is a common occurrence and can be caused from many things including climatic timber shrinkage in the Koiguchi or just a mismatched saya. Too many variables and only one small picture :doubt:

Just a thought

Kam 

• Like 3

Hello,

As the original poster I can add a bit more info. The habaki does seem to be hammered to fit the blade  where it meets the munemachi since it is thinner there.

I will not attempt to remove it completely as damage to the habaki may occur.

Comments about the tiny size of the photos baffle me. If you  double-click on these thumbnails they expand, at least for me as the original poster.

As for knowing the answer, I do not.

I do know the blade is very tired with core steel showing in spots and surface delamination evident.  I like it for its WW2 connection and for everything, good and bad, that can be seen along its length.

I have seen another example at a show. (Things seem to call to each other.) It was of similar dimensions, with a simple gunome hamon and mounted as a tachi. At the time , I thought it might have been a Boys Day item. 

Bill G.

As to how the habaki can get on and can't get off, you guys answered the question already.

New nakago is thicker than the old one. So the habaki won't go up it. 

Solution: put the habaki above the weld, weld away. Habaki now cannot go very far north or south and is permanently stuck in there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..