Nbsk Tobunkyo Competition 2016

Kevin Adams

Morning all - the deadlines have come and gone for submissions into this year's competition, and I wanted to take a moment to share my own. This is a study of a piece in the Met's collection (I had posted about the original artist here, I'm still unsure about the details - maybe someone can have a look in their Wakayama as Haynes is a bit vague). I've used mixed metal inlays on a shinchu plate.

post-146-0-32191500-1461422711_thumb.jpg

post-146-0-57739200-1461422723_thumb.jpg

For those interested, here's a work-in-progress gallery I built while making the piece (let me know if it isn't visible, I'm playing with the permissions).

I know there are a few people on the board that are also entering, maybe we can see theirs as well? ;)

• Like 7

Hello everyone,

I'll first comment on the lovely piece Kevin has posted and say well done sir! And good luck my friend!

I had a close call this year and almost missed the deadline but was able to just squeak under the wire...

I chose to continue studying the work of the iconoclast Murakami Jochiku . This piece is housed in the MFA and I'm sure many will recognize it. I have long wanted to do an utsushi of this piece, and hope my work does it justice.

Here is my piece for the competition this year.

post-1451-0-34228800-1461423305_thumb.jpeg

post-1451-0-35224000-1461423342_thumb.jpeg

post-1451-0-79646900-1461423372_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Marcus

• Like 4

Grev,

Kevin and I have had discussions regarding the possibility of politics getting in the way. I hope that it is not the case but I am prepared for that possibility. I appreciate your comments on the work and hope you are right!  :)

Cheers,

Marcus :glee:

• 1 month later...

Hi

Happy to contribute but I can I do a 'friends' paypal?

Kevin is my favourite tsuba maker but I wonder about the other competion entrants

My the way i may be selfish but I'd only contribute to Kevin - Sorry Marcus and the others great artistes

Grev

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..