Japanese Albumen Prints

No worries. I’ll let you know when they are on the new website. It takes ages to scan each at high res then processing them ready for the store & site so I’ll be doing a few this weekend and the rest over the next couple of weeks.

They’ll appear under the new gallery section

https://www.photosofjapan.com/gallery/

• Like 1

Thanks Emma! I’ve ordered a book called Photography in Japan 1853-1912 that I hope will identify a few. I’ll look into Mukashi Mukashi as well. I’ve found some information on a few of them online though many of them don’t seem to have been published before so fingers crossed.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a few hand-painted collotypes of Japanese photographs and amongst them was this great image of a curio shop. Nowhere near the quality of the albumen prints - though still interesting.

If only I had a time machine to visit his shop... would love to know what we have here ! I think I'd go for the ōdachi lying on the floor  :) 

Ben

post-3412-0-62375400-1519208427_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-74840300-1519208467_thumb.jpg

Outstanding Ben, each image is superb... I have to readjust my jaw from being permanently down throughout the scrolling process. Congrats on your hard work!

Jean, One or two of those swords in the last image look identical to some that I currently have, coincidentally they are an Ubu Zaimei Mitsutada and Etchu Norishige :laughing:

That’s what I thought, Nick, taking into account the splendid swords in koshirae you post here. Really the most outstanding lots I have seen for a big while. Thus, before passing, I hope to see you posting the Norishige and the Mitsutada...:)

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I recently picked up this photograph of a Samurai for my collection that I haven't seen before. It's a small sepia photograph.

Has anyone seen this one before or know anything about the Samurai photographed?

I wonder if it is a Felice Beato pre Meiji photograph that may have not been published before..

I've also attached an enhanced version as well to try and bring out some of the detail.

cheers,

Ben

post-3412-0-25352700-1581205808_thumb.jpg

post-3412-0-34299600-1581205816_thumb.jpg

Alright, I've cracked it :)

It's an old photograph of the statue of Date Masamune at Zuiganji temple which was commissioned by his widow Yotokuin in 1652. Interestingly the armour on the statue is original Warring states period.

The old sepia photograph almost brings him to life :)

Hello! You can find some of these pictures on a book called Mukashi Mukashi by Pierre Loti ( Béato and Stillfried) at Arthaud. Maybe bibliography and links can help identifying the photograph?

Emma

Just for info to the non-Japanese speakers...mukashi-mukashi means basically "long, long ago"...good name for a book of old photographs. Very interesting.

Regards,

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..