Signature And Date

CSM101

Hi Uwe,

As usual a partial translation:

又四郎美高

Matashiro Yoshitaka (the smith's sumurai name?)

筥埼八幡宮神水沒造之

Hakozaki Hachiman guu...tsukuru kore. (made this at the Hakozaki Hachiman shrine....)

If anyone has any ideas about how the kanji in red (god, water, drown/ sink) should read, I'd be grateful to be put out of my misery.

Best,

John

• Like 1

I think 神水汲 (Kami mizukumi?). Seems to be a reference to Hachiman Shrine in Hakozaki, Fukuoka (formerly Chikushū), but I don't get the rest of it. 

Also, I think the smith's name is 美 (Yoshimasa)

On the reverse

文化元年十一月日

• Like 2

Yes, it is said that the sword was made with Hakozaki Hachimangu's sacred water (for Yakiire).

The Chikuzen smiths were often forging swords in Hakozaki Jinja. they had Kajiba(a smith) in shrine site.
We have no written reference about it, but, local craftsmen and collectors know that when they dig the ground of north side of main house near west gate, they can find a lot of black iron oxide. that is the evidence of smith.

also, there are more Chikuzen blades which has same mei since mid Edo period.
I think that they were doing it since Koto period.

Yoshimasa is one of very good Chikuzen smith in Shinshinto period and he is a master of Horimono and also Tsuba making.
There are a few master pieces made by Yoshimasa in Fukuoka, they have excellent dragon Horimono, and he is Suguha master. 

Many of Mumei tsuba master pieces which are attributed as "Umetada" were made by Chikuzen smith include Yoshimasa. said our master polisher Mr.Eto.
Our workshop is located in Fukuoka/Chikuzen and Mr.Eto is the authority of Chikuzen smith,

Hakozaki Hachimangu/Fukuoka
  • Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..