Kozuka By Teijo. Overpriced?

Timur

Hi everybody,

A question from a novice. 

Could anybody enlighten me the reason of the price of 1.500.000 yen for this kodzuka by Teijo (without certificate) fetched recently on Japanese online auction?

Any idea what is written on the back?

Val

post-3360-0-57735000-1459851503_thumb.png

post-3360-0-67414600-1459851526_thumb.png

post-3360-0-53620800-1459851544_thumb.png

post-3360-0-58876400-1459851597_thumb.png

My question is, if one bidder consistently overbids everyone, Whi bother bidding at all?  indecision.png

Now then.  The above transactions all occurred Sunday morning (04/03/16) and all were won by the same individual, who has been winning multiple auctions for several months now with the exception of the last one which fell to someone else after about a two hour bidding war and is also the item mentioned in the above thread.  I have never seen a kozuka 'signed' by Goto Teijo in gold on the omote and I have grave reservations about it's legitimacy.  Mainline Goto did not advertise in this manner as they were carvers/assayers to the Shogunate and any such 'mei' would most probably be an attribution from someone else.  I cannot read the ura and pehaps there is some reference there.  From what I recall none of the above items have origami.  To me, this is someone with a bit too much money aligned with a bit too much ego and pride making risky/poor decisions which reminds me of someone running for President here, but then I digress.

PS:  there's a little pun included above for those who follow Yahoo!.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm flattered by Pete's confidence in my abilities and while I'd agree that adding such a mei post production would be relatively straightforward I would have to keep at least one eye open. ;-)

More revealing, to me, is the poor quality of the nanako as shown on the close up of the flower, as well as the very weak carving of the veining on the lotus leaf. The flower itself is similarly rudimentary. No student of the Goto had anything at all to do with this kozuka.

• Like 4

Ford, I agree with your assessment fully.

Here is who I am almost certain is the same buyer (see above April 5th post) from this morning's (April 20) auctions, winning all as usual:

The Yasuchika was a steal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..